14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Refreshing the turn signals - question???

Mich

My turn signals are not so bad, but since i'm doing everything on the car and the new set is not cheap, i'll rebuild them too.

My question is - is it able the chrome part to be removed, from the turn signal, because it needs to be rechromed. I'm sure there is a way to sepparate them, but want to ask first before i break something. And if someone did this before and have some pictures of the process it would be great.

The factory uses an injection process that encapsulates the plastic on both sides of the bezel, effectively locking it in place. The only way to remove your lens intact is to cut the bezel in several locations to free up the metal pieces, which are adhered to the plastic. The older they are, the more brittle the plastic will be. Obviously, you don't want to destroy the bezels if they're worth refurbishing. The other avenue is to carefully trim the portion of the lens along the interior perimeter to free the face from the bezel. This takes a very steady, patient hand to do without going too far. It would be best to practice on a throw-away signal first. If you'd like further tips, email me directly. I've done both procedures many times.

Thank you for your answer. I guess the better way for me is to cut a little bit from the back side of the lense to take it off the chrome part.

Btw, i just saw that in one of the lenses there are some little cracks. I know here in my country there are some people which are fixing cracks in a real glass, but this is plastic and do you know if it's possible?

I know it's a little bit waste of time, because i can just buy some better or new signals, but the feeling when you do it yourself is different... :)

Cheers.

The cracks will make it more likely that you'll have large shards of plastic coming apart under any kind of pressure. Also, keep in mind that once you remove the lens, reattaching it will require adhesive. When I make my lenses, I use a molding process that allows installation before the plastic is fully cured, so there is some flex to them during installation. If you could email me some close-up pictures, I'd be able to give you some better advice.

It is difficult and expensive to re-chrome the frame if it is badly pitted and chipped which have to be dechromed, holes filled with led or similar material (zinc) prior to chroming process. You are better off to find some good US cores and send them to Bob for euro lens installation.

totally agreed.

I don't know what are the prices of chroming in US, but here it will cost to me $20-$25 to rechrome and i guess around $30-40 more to refresh the lenses. I agree sending them for new lenses too, but i'm far away from you guys and shipping from here takes a month or so and shipping to here again around a month. I will send pictures to Bob as soon as i get back home if he can give me some additional advice. Anyway thanks for replies.

Greets.

• 1 year later...