• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 316 ENGINE

Lawrence

I am enquiring if a bmw 316 can be with an 1800cc engine on it. The engine number is 18 4v d 731 603.

Is the engine 1800 cc or the BMW 316 they were launched only with a 1600cc?

Anyone knows about it?

Regards,

Lawrence.

I AM SEARCHING FOR AN 1800TI ENGINE OR THE 4 SOLEX CARBS.

a factory rebuilt unit. If it were an original Neue Klasse 1800 engine, it would have a six or seven digit engine number that would have matched the VIN on the car it originally came in.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

no Neue Klasse or '02 series engines' serial numbers had letters; just numbers, either six or seven digit.

Not sure if there's a block casting number that would reveal the displacement, but you might check the cylinder head--if its a 118ti it may be a 1600 or 1800 engine; 121ti would be a 2 liter.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On top of my head:

E21 316 before the facelift: 1600cc

E21 316 after the facelift: 1800cc

E30 316/316i with a M10: 1800cc

Not sure when the E21 engines became 1800cc, I think it was with the facelift in 78/79 or so, but I'm not sure.

Another way: look at the freeze plugs in the block, if they're on the intake side as well it's an engine with a large (89mm) bore.

If not, it's a small bore block and as such, a 1600cc.

Or you could have a small bore block with a long stroke crankshaft, but I believe that combination was only used in the TISA.

1975 1602

M42 turbo swap in progress

THE car model IT MIGHT BE LATE 70'S OR EARLY 80'S....It is a BMW 316 but the number that I've wrote down I think is the engine number which I found printed near the safe starter.

I wish if someone can tell me if it is a 1600cc engine or an 1800cc.

Regards,

Lawrence.

I AM SEARCHING FOR AN 1800TI ENGINE OR THE 4 SOLEX CARBS.

If you are looking for the 1800cc motor as used in the 1800ti, you can either use the BMW 1800, 1800ti motor with the 116 or 118 heads. The 116 head was used up to about 67, then they started using the 118 head. There is only a diffrence in the combustion chambers and the chain tension gear. All early 1800 motors as used in the 1800ti to about 1967 had a 84mm bore and a 81mm stroke. In 1968 they went with a 1800cc motor with a 89mm bore and a 71mm stroke. The late 1800s , all 1802s and 1.8l 316's 318's and US 320is had the latter motor specs. I don't think that the 1800ti ever came with the later short stroke 1800cc motor.

Slavs