Pressure Plate Failure (Maybe)

BigDog

'02 Amigos,

OK I know what you're going to say, why didn't you put a new one in while you were at it? You know times are tough, you don't want to spend dough you don't have to...

So here's the skinny... With the *clutch pushed in* the car makes a horrible whacka whacka whacka noise, either in gear or in nuetral. Clutch out in nuetral, sounds fine. Baaad vibration when driving. So I figures, it had to be somethin' in the driveline hence I took it all down and replaced everything (Pilot bearing, guibo, center bearing, TO bearing, clutch disk) except that stupid pressure plate, which appeared in all ways completely normal. The clutch disengages fine, no issues. Gears shift fine, no issues.

My only real quandry here is do I replace the pressure plate only, or do I go for the gusto and throw in another gearbox that I've had sittin' under the house which is known good?

I mean seriously, you'd think I would have found broken rivets, bent or broken splines or something obviously wrong with the pressure plate.

BD

Ps. Stand by for more helpful transmission installation tips and tricks since by the time I"m done with this I"ll have it down.

No no, that can't be it, the pressure plate must be bent, because the whaccka whaccka comes in sync with engine rpms, and the pressure plate being bolted to the flywheel would spin with the motor, where as the tranny shaft only would when in gear, or car moving...

OK I'm going with bad pressure plate again, it's aligned properly on the fly wheel, it just must be out of round for some reason...

This is clearly driving me crazy.

BD

Guest Anonymous

hmmmm - are you arguing with yourself? For some reason only your posts show up, not those of whoever replied, so don't know what they said.

I'd do one more test, just to make sure u are focused on the right problem. That would be to drive, push the clutch in, and see if the noise is the same - try it in gear and in neutral. Unless the problem is so bad that driving is out of the question, of course.

Yah, I'm arguing with myself. It's one of those kinds of problems!

Driving isn't a good idea, the vibration will tear up all the nice new bits I just put it.

It's hard to hear the noise when you push the clutch in while you're driving, too much accelleration noise I suppose. I'm sure it's there though, having sort of heard it.

Just pulled it all out again and I swear that damned pressure plate looks good.

What to do!

BD

The input shaft DOES rotate in neutral, along with counter shaft, I think.

With a gear not engaged, power is not transmitted to the output shaft.

Hopefully CD will post a pic of a transmissions guts, I forget the terms, it's been a few years.

As far as your problem goes, there may be another internal part damaged in the trans or the pressure plate is damaged.

After re-reading your first post, I say pressure plate.

1, sound happens when pedal is depressed.

2. vibration in sync with motor

3. input shaft bearings don't go bad over night in most cases.