Wheel offset question

bmwmalcolm

Off 2002 subject but here goes. My son purchased a 80 or 81 euro 318i (e21) to ice race this winter. He runs in a street stud class and needs to fit e30 14" wheels to this e21 - kinda the reverse of 02'ers usual problem. Does he need to add spacers and if so what thickness. Also does an e21 run bolts or studs for wheel fastening? If bolts, does anyone make a spacer to incorporate conversion to studs and nuts. (Ice racing paddock is a frozen, snowpacked parking lot; studs and nuts a lot easier to handle with mitts on at -20C)

If I remember correctly E21 offset is +18 (3/4") and the E30 offset is +25 (1") So you will need to add a 1/4" spacer to keep the inside of the rim from touching the struts.

I'm not sure if you can add studs onto the E21 hubs, but I know people who have used Loctite to 'glue' the spacer onto the hub so it would stay put during wheel changes etc.

I hope this helps. Beaner7102

that is true IF the wheels are the same width...

The E21 stock rim was 5 1/2" wide, the E30 was also 5 1/2" wide (so RealOEM says).

But the ET on the E30 rim is 35mm, NOT 25mm as I thought - so you need a 17mm spacer (3/4"). But 1/2" may give you enough clearance on the struts.

Sorry for the confusion in my first post. Beaner7102