fdovargas

WTB "bottle tops" 13x5.5 wheels set

31 posts / 11524 viewsLast Reply

THE 14" E-30 BOTTLECAP WHEELS ARE A DIME A DOZEN .

THE ONES IN THE PICTURES ARE 13" WHEELS THAT WERE A

FACTORY OPTION FOR THE LATER 2002 & ARE VERY RARE .

THE BOTTLECAPS IN QUESTION WERE MADE FOR BMW BY TWO DIFFERENT

SUPPLIERS .

ONE WAS FPS THAT ALSO MADE THE EARLIER 5 SPOKE ALLOYS .

THE OTHER WAS MAHLE OF PISTON FAME .

EITHER ONE WILL HAVE THE SAME PART NUMBER ON IT .

Thanks for the explanation of the name. I know that the 13 bottle tops are made by MAHLE, and they are the option for the later 2002.

I need the 13x5.5 wheels set, not the 14" for E30. If anyone has the set i can pay the money because are rare to find, i know that the wheels are expensive, dont worry, i need the bottle tops 13x5.5 like the pictures.

the 2002 Turbos; all other 2002s used a 5" wheel--and it was a rarely chosen option. Thus the 5.5 inch wheels are really gonna be hard to find, unless FPS or Mahle made 'em as aftermarket wheels like FPS did for the early style alloys.

cheers

mike

Guest Anonymous

Did you ever find? I have a set of 4 5.5 x 13 the stock number on the side is 1 112 732 5 1/2x13H2 ET18 and are the OEM BMW wheel made by Mahle. Please let me know if you are still looking and I will send you pics.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Jim

Guest Anonymous

Did you ever find? I have a set of 4 5.5 x 13 the stock number on the side is 1 112 732 5 1/2x13H2 ET18 and are the OEM BMW wheel made by Mahle. Please let me know if you are still looking and I will send you pics.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Jim

[email protected]

Thanks,

Jim

Just to satisfy my curiosity, would you mind telling me the casting dates for these wheels (probably on the reverse of each wheel)? And can you confirm that all four were produced by "F.P.S." (probably on the face of each wheel)?

Thanks,

Steve

Guest Anonymous

Drop me a line if you are still n a wheel hunt for bottle top style.

Gregory

I believe the correct nick name for this wheel type is " soup dish " , factory option on 74 and 75 2002's. My 75 had a set on it when I purchase it about 6 years ago ($600.00), I didn't know I had a little treasure till I tried to clean the 2 coats of paint of of them, thought they were steel , had them powder coated and will use them for shows, refinished a set of 14in bottle caps for every day use I can still buy affordable tires for those rims :).

Harry

post-293-13667667306243_thumb.jpg

post-293-13667667307183_thumb.jpg

post-293-13667667308093_thumb.jpg

(edited)

Refreshing an old thread to summarize it and correct some confusion it may cause:

The factory alloy rims for the square taillight cars are variously referred to as "bottle tops," "bottle caps," "soup plates," "soup dishes," "turbo wheels," and, my preference, "the late OEM alloys." This style of rim was produced in 3 sizes: 5x13, ET28; 5.5x13, ET18; and 6x13, ET13. I have never seen an example without a cast-in BMW logo so I believe they were all sold as genuine BMW components, whether as a factory-supplied option or a dealer-supplied accessory.

Two manufacturers produced these rims, Mahle (German) and F.P.S. (Italian). The only differences that I have ever noted between the Mahle and F.P.S. versions -- other than a different typeface for the cast-in identification and different styles of date markings -- is the webbing on the reverse of the rims. Both versions appear to be of very high quality. I recognize, however, that many people value a Mahle logo over an F.P.S. logo because Mahle is German and because the name is known from pistons and other BMW components. Given also that the Mahle rims appear to be slightly more rare than the F.P.S. examples, prices for the Mahle rims seem to be slightly higher.

Two of the three sizes were produced for 2002's; the other was produced for European e21 cars. Following is an analysis by size.

5x13, ET28

This size was produced for 2002's and the F.P.S. version remains in the 2002 parts listings, although it is NLA. The F.P.S. version is PN 36111114231. The Mahle version, which is no longer listed in any parts listings, is PN 36111112755, but all examples I have ever seen are thusly marked. I have only seen examples of the Mahle and F.P.S. rims dated '74 and '75 but I suspect that production may have begun in '73 and continued after '75. I own both Mahle and F.P.S. examples dated to May '74 so it doesn't appear that one manufacturer simply replaced the other. If you have an example earlier than '74 or later than '75, please let me know. The Mahle rims do appear to be rarer which, along with the "swag" of the Mahle name, seems to make them more "cherished." I have witnessed owners of the F.P.S. versions refer to their rims as "Mahle's," oblivious to the manufacturer's mark on the rims' faces.

EDIT: jb's entry of June 7, 2013, below, identifies a 5x13 Mahle rim with a '77 date. END OF EDIT

5.5x13, ET18

This size was produced for European e21 cars and remains pictured in the e21 parts listings but is NLA. I have only seen these produced by F.P.S., bearing PN 36111112732, but I've seen so few I simply can't know if Mahle also produced them. Although I have read references to this same part number along with the "Mahle" name, I have not seen this part number first hand or in a photograph alongside the Mahle name. Thus, I cannot tell whether these references mean (a.) Mahle also produced them and shared the same BMW part number, or (b.) as recounted in the prior paragraph, people generically refer to them as "Mahle" rims, even when produced by F.P.S. The latest book by James Taylor on 2002 restoration erroneously reports that the 5.5x13 alloys were the "turbo" alloys. Not true: "turbo" alloys were 6x13, ET13. (Likely contributing to this confusion is that the standard rims on the turbo were styled steel in a 5.5x13, ET18, size. The alloy option, however, represented both a reduction in weight and an increase in width.) I don't know if you could ever buy these rims from a U.S. dealer, since they were not offered as an option or accessory on U.S. e21's, but a few of them obviously made their way to the U.S. by one means or another. And sets appear on German eBay occasionally.

EDIT: A search on PN 36111112732 returned a result, from BMW of South Atlanta, showing an alternate part number, PN 36111113341. Could this be a Mahle version of the 5.5x13, ET18? I don't know; but it is a possibility. END OF EDIT

EDIT on 6/18/2014: A set of five of the 5.5x13 rims, with a set of five new Pirelli tires mounted, failed to achieve its minimum bid of 1,300 Euros on German eBay. All five rims were marked "FPS" and with the part number ending "...2732."

END OF EDIT

6x13, ET13

Lastly, this size was produced for the factory 2002 turbo and remains listed in the 2002 parts listings, but is also NLA. Per the turbo's German-language sales brochure, these were listed as the optional "Sportfelgen 6Jx13H2". I have seen examples advertised as being produced by both Mahle (PN ?) and F.P.S. (PN 36111112514). But, as with the 5.5" rims described above, it is difficult to decipher whether "Mahle" was used in a given instance accurately or generically.

EDIT: L.J.'s entry of June 3, 2013, below, verifies that Mahle did, indeed, produce a version of the 6x13 rim. In addition, the Mahle rims appear to carry the same part number, 36111112514, as the F.P.S. versions. END OF EDIT

EDIT on 12/20/2014: I just confirmed, yet again, and based on a photo, that the Mahle version of the 6x13, ET13, rim was also numbered 36111112514, identical to the FPS version. END OF EDIT

Being a 2002 period-rim nerd, I would love to see photos of the 5.5" and 6" versions that show the part numbers alongside the rim size and manufacturer's name. What have you got?

Finally, I would say that the three widths, 5", 5.5", and 6", are, respectively, somewhat rare, quite rare, and very rare!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv