SOLVED: CV joint cage / washer questions

williamggruff

I took apart a few sets of CV joints this past weekend. I followed recent guidance to keep the parts from each CV joint together, but separated from the other CV joints to avoid confusion and political unrest. So far so good.

Upon close inspection, I note that one side of each bearing cage is beveled a bit more than the other side. This is a common trait among the 8 CV joints that I have disassembled in my garage.

So here's my question: When I place the bearing cage into the CV cup, which side faces out of the cup--the more beveled edge or the less beveled edge?

Photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/grice.mulligan/CVJointBearingCage?feat=directlink

And while we're on the subject, I have another related question. The fine folks who put together the wonderful CV joint rebuild FAQ here http://www.my2002tii.com/july2003-2.htm show a cupped washer in the CV joint assembly. I found none of these in the CV joints that I took apart. Should I try to get some? If so, is there a separate part number or spec for those washers? It appears they're part of a kit on Max's site, but I have all of the other parts.

Thanks for your help!

Grice

Guest Anonymous

Mine had the washers. Seems like there would be more slop and possibly wear on both the shaft lip and cage assembly without it. Not sure if they are available as a single part.

Thank you for your replies. It appears from the 2002tii photos that the LESS beveled edge was placed on the outside of the cup (facing outward) as seen below.

That said, I suppose it's possible as suggested here, that the cages can be installed in either position. Seems kind of odd that the beveling would be different if there was no purpose to it. Perhaps it was a function of the machining process.

As for buying the washers separately from the CV boot repair kit ($53 each), it appears that isn't happening. If anyone can provide the specs for the washer, or can suggest an alternative washer from another supplier, I'll be quite grateful, and will gladly offer to FAQers for free any spare washers that might come in a box. Shiat, for $106 plus shipping, I should be able to buy a crate of washers. Oh well.

Grice

post-16735-13667632356931_thumb.jpg

post-16735-13667632358049_thumb.jpg

Mine had the washers. Seems like there would be more slop and possibly wear on both the shaft lip and cage assembly without it. Not sure if they are available as a single part.

This sounds logical. My challenge is that I don't have one of the washers handy to check whether the washer will actually fit, along with the CV joint, between the lip on the half shaft and the lockring/circlip. The CV joints that I removed were snug against both the inner lip of the shaft and the lockring/circlip. I don't see how there would be any room to install the washer unless the washer's inner diameter is greater than that of the CV joint. I received an email off the board indicating that there may have been different types of CV joints--those that require a washer and those that don't. I note that there are definitely different types of CV housings--symmetrical and asymmetrical. This appears to have been the case with 320 CV housings as well.

Whether the innards of the CV joints were also of different lengths--with shorter innards requiring/allowing installation of a washer, and longer innards precluding the washer--appears to be a question worth answering. I will measure the 3 different CV joints that I have in possession--2002 symmetrical, 2002 (or possibly 320) asymmetrical outer, and 320 asymmetrical inner--and report back later today.

Grice

I recently took two sets apart and being a dumbass I assumed they were all the same. Well, after eight ends I was left with three washers. I tried reassembling them with the washer but could not get the clip on the other side. After searching through a lot of posts it seemed that they are not necessary so I left them out - I guess I will find out next spring if this a problem!

UPDATE:

I think I've figured it out. The EARLY (up to April 1972) model asymmetrical CV joints require a washer, while the LATE (after April 1972) model symmetrical CV joints do not.

Let's assume for a moment that the halfshaft design stayed the same (and I'm not sure that it did.) Here's a photo of one end of the halfshaft.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_xhHuLdoNhNZquqQOjr5kw?feat=directlink

Note that there's a space between the inner end of the teeth and grooves and inner shoulder of the halfshaft. This appears to be consistent across the various halfshafts that I have, including halfshafts for the e21/320is.

The EARLY model CV joints have teeth on their inner diameter that extend very close to the end of the CV joint. Thus, the EARLY model CV joint can't snug up against the inner shoulder of the halfshaft without cutting into the ungrooved/unteethed portion of the halfshaft. That space is filled with a cupped washer. See photo here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/K9yHCjKculW-hecFYuA0TA?feat=directlink

The LATE model CV joints also have teeth on their inner diameter, but they are machined off, leaving a gap that bridges the ungrooved/unteethed portion of the halfshaft, allowing the CV joint to snug up against the inner shoulder of the halfshaft. This leaves no space for the cupped washer. See photo here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wWwRmhhlulMDH_RPaDFmOg?feat=directlink

But that's not all folks. If you look closely at the outside end of each of the CV joints you'll note that the inner diameter of the EARLY model CV joint is beveled inward, creating a recess that allows the lockring/circlip to nestle inside the end of the CV joint, while the inner diameter of the LATE model CV joint is machined flush with the end of the CV joint, forcing the lockring/circlip to stay outside of the CV joint.

If you look closely at the inner end of the halfshaft photo above, you'll note that some of the grooves seem chopped up and extended in toward the shoulder. These grooves resulted from the PO installing an EARLY model CV joint without a cupped washer.

Thank you to one and all for you help and insights. It seems this mystery is solved. For now.

Grice

UPDATE: EARLY CV joint cages (up to April 1972) are different from LATE CV joint cages (post April 1972).

Only the EARLY CV joint cages are asymmetrical, with one side beveled more than the other. The LATE CV joint cages are symmetrical, with both sides only slightly beveled. I can't be sure which side of the EARLY CV joint would face inward, but I believe it would be the more beveled side, as nbcbird suggests.

Grice

Thanks for putting the info together. It looks like I will be taking my two finished ones apart, I looked closer at the others I have and it looks like I have one of each! Oh, well, it's going to be a long winter. Maybe even pull all this and pictures I get and turn it into a construction FAQ.

post-16735-13667632403675_thumb.jpg