BRAKE BOOSTER ISSUE? WHEEL MOUNTING ISSUE?

vlados2002

Hello,

couple of questions for fellow 02 experts out there:

1) When my car is stopped with engine running and I press the brake pedal the engine starts to shake a bit. I know that the brake booster uses the vacuum from the enigine so is this normal or could it be a faulty brake booster?

2) Are the stock 13" wheels supposed to be mounted on a hub ring that matches the wheel center opening or are they supposed to be just fastened with lug nuts?

The car in question is 1971 BMW 2002 with one brake booster mounted behind the brake master cylinder.

Thanks to all,

Vlad

I want to say that all 2002 wheels are, or should be, hub centric.

Don't - they are not hub centric!

Later cars, like E21 320i s, with lug bolts are.

+1, 02 are not hub centric at all.

all 02 i know of, and i have 3 in my driveway right now, has idle fluctuations when you work the brake pedal when the engine idles. It doens mean necessary that the booster is bad.

If the engine start to miss a bit i would check the idle mixture, it is maybe on the lean side, imho.

I agree that 02 wheels are not hubcentric simply because there is no provision on the rear hubs to set the wheels on (other than the 4 studs) and than center them by tightening the bolts/lugs. I don't know about the front hubs because I did not check yet.

Any ide why the engine starts to shake/choke when the brake is applied and the vacuum is drawn from the engine?

thanks

Vlad

I agree that 02 wheels are not hubcentric simply because there is no provision on the rear hubs to set the wheels on (other than the 4 studs) and than center them by tightening the bolts/lugs. I don't know about the front hubs because I did not check yet.

Any ide why the engine starts to shake/choke when the brake is applied and the vacuum is drawn from the engine?

thanks

Vlad

edit, i dont know why my post ended here....lol...

the little hose that connects the manifold to the check valve. It's a straight hose that's bent to a 90 degree angle, and will eventually crack and leak. Replace with the same part from an E21 320--its hose has the bend moulded in so it won't crack.

Also make sure the check valve is working properly, and is installed correctly (observe the arrow on the valve body).

Hope that's all it is...

mike