Advancing Odommeter

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm replacing my speedo with an earlier one, and, if possible, I'd like to "roll back" the ODO by moving it forward, i.e., from (1)59 K to 82K.

Now, in the archives someone mentioned advancing the ODO with a drill. My questions are:

1. Wouldn't this take forever? How many hours do you have to run the drill to move forward 10K?

2. And how does one attach the drill? I guess one has to pull out the speedo cable from the car (?)

Thanks in advance!

Hugh

Put down that drill.

Read this FAQ:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/72/32/

When you have the shaft out you can rotate the numbers to get your desired mileage.

Good luck with it. Beaner7102

When you remove the drive pin, you have to replace it simultaniously with something (finishing nail is perfect) to hold the wheels from falling loose into the assembly. The wheels are still locked togther and will not move indepentently. If you just pulled the pin out, the wheels would fall loose into the assembly andthen you'd have a mess to deal with.

look at these pics:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,324889/highlight,odometer+repair/

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, guys. I really have to think if it's worth it. The drill idea was tempting because it seemed risk-free and low-skill. Dismantling the mechanism seems like a high risk venture, esp. for the inexperienced ...

that you can set to run "backwards", or even a small 12 volt DC electric motor. To fit the square drive socket on the speedo, I took a small piece of thick aluminum wire (I think it was the wire used to hold chain link fence to its posts--it was handy) and carefully filed about 3/4" of one end square with a small file. Chucked it in my cordless drill; held drill in one hand and speedo in the other. Worked fine but it'll take you awhile. If you have a small 12volt motor you can rig the motor up to do this without your having to hold it; then all you'll have to do is check the speedometer, see how "fast" you're going and calculate when you have to come back and turn the motor off.

As was mentioned, you can remove the stop pin and re-set the number drums, but it's very difficult to get the numbers perfectly aligned, and if you don't, they'll be slightly cocked--some up, some down a bit.

Good luck

mike

the only other way I could think of, is to remove the drive pin that turns the # wheels, reposition the wheels & replace the pin. Not easy at all.

I agree with the not easy part but I reset my speedometer myself with only the loss of a couple of hours of my life and some hair I pulled out.

Instead of the rod on the number set, I pushed out the pin on the plastic gears after removing the worm gear piece from the side of the speedo and some filing on the rod to round it out/remove the bumps holding in place. Then I set the numbers and replaced all the plastic gears. My first guess at how the gears meshed with the numbers was one pin off and the large lug on the gears were binding with the numbers. This was easy enough to determine and correct as turning the gear on the end of the numbers rotates them much faster than the gearing through the cable end.

Positioning the gears was extremely finicky work and I don't recommend taking it apart to do this unless you're prepared to invest a couple of hours in it. Take pictures of how it all goes together for reference if you do decide to take it apart.