14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Sweet door panels?

Frenchee

It looks like aluminum sheet metal - probably 6061 grade (commonly available).

Looks like the owner may have done a 180 bend at the top of the panel to allow it to hang on the door edge where a factory door panel would hang.

Probably using sheet metal screws on the bottom to hold the panel in place - I'm wondering if the owner used clip-nuts in the factory "clip" holes for the screws to bite into.

Pretty much like on my racecar. I noticed I don't have a single good picture of them. Anyway the upper edge is bent 180 as said and they are mounted with screws. Noise is bad but they weigh about nothing. Material is whatever aluminum as thin as possible, mine are about 0,5mm if I remember right.

Tommy

post-17271-13667632322028_thumb.jpg

post-17271-13667632322925_thumb.jpg

tommy

did you do yours? how did you do the design on each one? like the half circle pattern? not sure if you get me ... yours are very very nice...

Alfonso

THanks for everyones input! I want to do carbon fiber now but it will be too $$.

Aluminum will get scratched a lot so might just cover it with carbon fiber vinyl!!

And I agree with Ponchis. Yours look very nice did u do them?

Yep, made them myself and borrowed a bead roller to give them a nice finish. They do rattle and they don't dampen other noises like the cardboard does. Sure you could isolate the vibration better but then the weight increases. And they do scratch easily. I wouldn't recommend for daily driver but maybe for serious street fighter :-)

Tommy