Reccomended Tires

xxx

I'm looking for tires and I was wondering if there were any good 13" tires that anyone would recommend. I could run any tires from 175 to 205 width. Thanks. Oh and also, Should I get a new spare and replace the original one, or get an extra spare wheel and tire.

I'm running the Pirelli Cinturato P5 in 175/70 R13 and after one year, I love them. I think they're perfect on a car as small and light as the '02.

Good grip and handling (esp. for such a small narrow tire) and EXCELLENT wet traction. It's an H-rated Tire with an 85,000 mile treadwear guarantee.

I got mine at Discount Tire a year ago during a Pirelli promotion which got me out the door (mounting/balancing/tax) for $240 + a $40 rebate, so $200 total.

Cheers!

you should be running a 185/70 x 13 or a 205/60 x 13 --the closest size to the original 165/80 x 13 that the car came with.

Selection in that size is really limited now--Yokohama discontinued the AVID T4 which had been the tire of choice for many. I have a set of Sumitomos on my '69 and have been quite satisfied with 'em. And has been pointed out, they're less than $50 a pop from Tire Rack.

BTW, you need to do some careful measuring if you plan to run 205/60s--they're marginal on a 5" wide rim, and the most common 5.5 inch rim is the factory wheel from an E21 320, which has the wrong offset and may rub when mounted on a 2002 with 205/60 x 13 tires.

cheers

mike

I went from 13" to 14" tires on my 02's back in the early 80's and haven't gone back to 13's since. If you want originality, then stay with 13" but 13" performance tires are going the way of the dinosaur. Just take a look at the selection of 13" tires that Tire Rack offers and you'll see what I'm talking about. Even the selection of 14" performance tires is dwindling down. Two years ago, I went to 15" by with 15" Alpina replica's on my tii. I sold them (offset was for a E21) and went with some 15" Rota RB's with 195/50-15. Tire Rack only lists one manufacturer left selling a stock tire size (195/70-14) for an E3/E9, E12/E23/E24/E28 in a H rated tire in the U.S. market. If you want performance tires, go up a size or two. There is still a decent selection in 14" (195/60-14) but I'm sure that selection will be smaller in a couple years.

G-Man