14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

gas pedal question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello Everyone. Im having problems with my car. I was wondering what could be wrong with it. When i press the gas pedal you have to push it half way down just to move, do you know what it could be. And how do you fix a high idle? i have a stock motor,4spd, and a 38/38 weber if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Is the gas pedal on correctly?

It is rubber and press mounts to two studs on the floor. Over time the right side of the pedal will weaken with age and cause the pedal to tilt to the left. When this happens, pressure on the pedal causes it to slip off the throttle linkage, resulting in more pedal pressure for almost no gas.

To tell if this has happened, press firmly and forcefully on the right side of the base of the gas pedal, if it 'pops' back into position that's what has happened.

If that is the problem, I recommend a new gas pedal, or adjust how your foot rests and presses on the pedal. Driving with no gas pedal is uncomfortable and I found awkward to get used to.

Also, take a look at the gears (toothed sectors) on the back of the carb. Maybe the teeth are getting chewed up a little and not meshing and rotating smoothly.

Check the pedal as outlined above, then, where the throttle rod comes up vertically into the engine compartment, disconnect the connection point and see if, with nothing connected, it lines up with the hole that connects it to the horizontal linkage rod. If not, rotate it up or down until it does, then re-connect.

Bob Napier