Repa seat belts not retracting properly

Grover

1) webbing has gotten too thick

2) Webbing is very dirty

3) springs inside the retractors lost their strength

4) locking mechanism has worn out

5) all of the above

You can try to remove and wash the webbing and put some light machine oil inside the bushings that hold the spool, chances are (80%>) they need replacements.

I think I can speak for the others here who have purchased Al's seat belt sets (Autoflug or Repa brand) - they are worth every penny and make it more enjoyable to buckle up without worrying about old belts not retracting, getting closed in the door, looking ratty and being unsafe.

I'm still amazed that there are old car owners still using really old seat belts and also the fact that most Safety inspection stations (Like VA) don't look at them.

fac09e40.jpg

They are side specific but can work either side if you remove (unscrew) the locating pins at the back of the retractor. Original early Autoflugs did not have a locator pin. Just use a 7/16" split lock washer of grade 5 or higher behind retractor (behind the end bracket) to secure, it will not move. The funny thing is if you buy NOS Repas from BMW, they might send two driver side or tow passenger side (they are running out of stock) which you have to remove the pin to install, ask me how I know!