14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

BMW 1502 German paperwork

jgerock

Along with the great 1502 sales brochure, the CFO at work let me borrow some of his old papers from the car.

What is amazing is that he was living in Zagreb, Yugoslavia at the time (now Croatia) and had to use a broker to buy the car. He told me he picked up the car in Munich and drove it on the Autobahn very carefully while other cars blew past him. Since he wasn't able to locate a BMW dealer where he lived, he drove the car to Austria for service.

The paperwork is great, but the place he took it for service was Wolfgang Denzel, which was one of the very first manufacturers of air cooled VW high performance components.

Almost all of the papers are in German (or Slavic), so here is one that has some English content (thank goodness!)

SKMBT_C28010101404261.jpg

SKMBT_C28010101404262.jpg

This looks like the purchase agreement (buyer's order) with options

SKMBT_C28010101404240.jpg

One of the multiple service work orders from Denzel

SKMBT_C28010101404270.jpg

Replacement parts used

SKMBT_C28010101404280.jpg

Inspection checklist

SKMBT_C28010101404290.jpg

SKMBT_C28010101404291.jpg

In the folder was this very rare (now) Yugoslavia I.D. sticker that was apparantly never applied to the car.

SKMBT_C28010101404260.jpg

For VW fans like me, here is a picture I found on the web showing a very special dual-port VW cylinder head and dual-carb manifold by Denzel (both on the left) compared to a stock VW single-port head and single carb. manifold. This picture may have been from 1960. VW didn't introduce their version of the dual-port cylinder head until about 1968 (1971 in the Beetle).

Denzelheadvsstock.jpg

I am such a sucker for that kind of thing. In archeologically exploring my car I have found gas receipts from the 1970s, the license plate tab receipt from 1976 and the original radio documentation showing the radio that was in my car was installed in June 1972.

How cool is that YU sticker?! Interesting about Yugoslavia back then is how much commerce was done between there and the "West". My dad was stationed at Fulda in (West) Germany when I was a little guy. While there my parents purchased a dining room table and chair from Yugoslavia. My folks still own that set - solid wood! That's a tangent from the trips to Austria from supposedly "Eastern Bloc" Yugoslavia.