No more valve adjustment

gli_ryan

I'm trying to adjust the valves in my car and its around .018 lash. But the eccentric adjusters are at the end of their adjustment. The cam is a peco regrind I'm told. In a situation like this are the rocker arms worn out, or the adjusters? And what sort of option is there for me?

The regrinds increased lift comes at the expense of the back side of the cam. This can make the adjusters run out of .... adjustment. In my old motor I used an Iskenderian regrind of the 300 sport cam. I needed valve lash caps, and I got them from BMP. I don't know if they still sell them but a company like Isky or the like should be able to point you in the right direction. I could be wrong but I think the valve stem is 8mm and mine might have been .050 thick.

here's the link.

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exec/product_id/1174/category_id/46/search_year/1971/search_model/5

John

sweet. I had no idea these were available. I'll just have to figure out the width of the valves and order them up. I guess thats my next question, if anyone knows the size of the top of the valves so I can order the correct ones

EDIT: I just talked with summit and they say they have keepers for the 02 listed as 5/16"

Assuming that you determine it is the cam and that the rocker is not worn..

The valve stem is the same diameter as those used on many Volkswagens and Alphas. Volks shops sell caps to go on top of the valve to adjust the clearance. Plug the oil return journals with paper towels to avoid stuff falling into engine and loosen the eccentrics. Rotate the cam to TDC for that cylinder and the rocker can then be pushed down the shaft and off the top of the valve. Hold it there while popping the cap on top of valve. Then let the rocker slide back in place and adjust the valve. Depending on which cap you buy you can get between .01 and .015 more height. Don’t worry, they won’t pop off. They fit tight and the rocker is holding them down.

adjusters. My '69 ran out of adjustment at about 35k miles because the early cars didn't have bushed rocker arms. I bought one new adjuster and took it to a local machine shop; they made me a set that was .040 oversize. That did the trick.

Try the archives, as someone mentioned who makes these adjusters; if no one does, any good machine shop should be able to make you some--just be sure to get 'em case hardened.

mike

Ireland was selling oversized eccentrics at one point.

I have used them, and also lash caps, with no troubles.

I like the eccentrics better because the caps fly loose

when you break a rocker, and I have visions of a lash cap

in the timing chain...

I remember trying to use the Summit caps and not

being able to make the math work out- 8mm is .315 inches

and 5/16 is .312- if the 5/16 cap has a bit of play, it might work.

But if it's a tight fit, it won't.

Either way, don't run the car without them.

t

well I got the summit ones, 5/16". They ended up being too deep so they were hitting the springs. So I ground down the skirts so there was no more contact and that did the trick. Yay for less valve train noise.

Motor is still way down on compression though. Pretty sure all the rings are shot. Ranges from 110 psi down to a little less than 100 with one cylinder being 60psi. Man I need a second vehicle again soon so this car can get more attention.