14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

ALPINA 2002 front disc brake system

markmac

Hard to come by any more, as far as I am concerned the best you can get for street applications (short of Lee's super mega wilwood system), however from stock to 170hp ALPINA or Weber'd cars as much brakes as you would need....and the damn things just don't wear out. I didn't see any visible wear on my 73 tii/A4 in about 3 years of use (and they were used when I got them - Daniel Cooper.....where the heck did that guy disappear to?).

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/

You mention the similarity to the 914/6 GT rears, the company I work with builds 914/6 GT racers and has a barn full of rear calipers...

Wonder how similar they are?? If I pass along some dimentions, photos, etc., or one of our shelf parts, would you mind doing a comparison?

I know genuine 914/6 parts are nigh un-obtanium in some cases, but, I have a 2002, and I have access to the aforementioned parts barn...hmmm....

Cheers,

Ian

Ian, once upon a time I had an ALPINA rear disc brake assembly - quite honestly I think the rarerst of the rare, given I have never (ever) seen one for sale again second hand, not to say that one hasn't come available, just saying if it has it was not a publicly done deal (like on Ebay or other). This system was essentially a tii rear trailing arm or a boxed 02 trainling arm with a lowered/reinforced spring perch. They (ALPINA) used a Porsche (ATE) 914/6 brake caliper with provision for hand brake cable and a vented disc rotor of unkown diamter and 20mm wide. The attached image is of a Porsche 914/6 GT brake rotor which is 280mm x 20mm (for sale on a Swiss Porsche Parts site for.....gulp.....EUR 550 Each....gulp). I am nearly certain the ALPINA used either Porsche rotors or rotors made from the vendor Porsche was using - either way. These guys were smart if they could use off the shelf stuff someone else had already made, cuts down on R&D etc., My ALPINA engine (with Schnitzer Cylinder head) actually uses ALFA Romeo cam followers (why reinvent the wheel when you don't have to). This is the only shot I had left of the rear disc, sold it unfortunately to some dude in Japan around 1999 for a pile of $$$ (mistake). You are right the 914/6, 914/6 GT stuff is unobtainium and super expensive (when it is).

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2010/08/alpina-2002-rear-disc-brake-assembly.html

post-3906-13667632169751_thumb.jpg

Most already know...this is what an E-21 Vented rotor looks like (also BMW 2002 Turbo), which you can use as a comparison to the ALPINA 02 rotors (note the difference in the edge or top of the rotor compared to the ALPINA) up until about 10 years ago they (ALPINA) actually still sold them, some TUV law as I require that they needed to supply brake parts for a certain period of time after the car went out of production (or at least that is what someone told me....true? maybe, maybe not). They were expensive even back then at $260/Ea. I have seen folks on fleabay advertise these as "ALPINA" rotors....buyer beware.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/

post-18548-13667632170703_thumb.jpg