• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stripping Chrome

MKINNA

Just sand it using multi-grit method. You could even use an inexpensive palm sander to do most of the work.

I'd start with 250 grit and work my way up through 400, 800 and then it will easily accept a primer and paint.

I used this method on my late bumpers, but continued on through 1000, 1200 and 1500 grit, then polished the Aluminum to a mirror shine and paste waxed it rather than painting or re-plating it. A year later, it still looks great. I may give it a 'refresher' polish every other year or so with the old random orbital to keep it that way.

IIRC, it took me about 2 hrs. / bumper to actually remove all the old plating, the rest was just making it look pretty.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Well, not ones specifically showing just the bumper.

But this one I think shows the shine of the bumper pretty well if you look at the reflection of the headlight and grill in it, though it was pretty dirty at the time. What may look like pitting or such on the D-side (in the sun) is actually just dust

Cheers!

post-17544-13667632192851_thumb.jpg

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

What about taking it to a chrome shop and having them dip it?

They chemically strip chrome before replating... brutally toxic, eh?

Grinding it is problemmatic, as you know- it's so much harder than what's underneath

(copper, then steel) that it's hard not to gouge the base metal.

Have you tried the 3M stripper pads? They might rough the surface

up enough for paint. Otherwise, a sanding disc on an angle grinder DOES

work, but you have to be really cautious... or use a few layers of primer- filler

after!

The sparks are certainly pretty...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

What about taking it to a chrome shop and having them dip it?

They chemically strip chrome before replating... brutally toxic, eh?

Grinding it is problemmatic, as you know- it's so much harder than what's underneath

(copper, then steel) that it's hard not to gouge the base metal.

Have you tried the 3M stripper pads? They might rough the surface

up enough for paint. Otherwise, a sanding disc on an angle grinder DOES

work, but you have to be really cautious... or use a few layers of primer- filler

after!

The sparks are certainly pretty...

t

I was thinking about stopping by one, to see how the prep bad chrome. Thanks everyone for your input

72 Fjord Blue B/S Racecar

2011 335is 7 Speed dct Rocket