rear sub frame swappage

jayamasaki

your 76 has a short neck. So you'll have to swap out diffs--and keep in mind that a 76 has a 3.90 final drive, while all other US 2002s have a 3.64. So you'll need to swap speedometers to get one that reads correctly. You'll also need to swap out the drive shaft and the axle shafts--your '68 has open U-joints inboard and CV joints outboard, while the 76 has CV joints on both ends.

There may be other stuff that I'm not familiar with, but these things above come to mind.

mike

your 76 has a short neck. So you'll have to swap out diffs--and keep in mind that a 76 has a 3.90 final drive, while all other US 2002s have a 3.64. So you'll need to swap speedometers to get one that reads correctly. You'll also need to swap out the drive shaft and the axle shafts--your '68 has open U-joints inboard and CV joints outboard, while the 76 has CV joints on both ends.

There may be other stuff that I'm not familiar with, but these things above come to mind.

mike

Mike, many thanks. One of the main reasons for considering the swap is because of the axles. I heard and read its easier / cheaper for the CV's to change if the swap is done when they do need replacing.

This is assuming that the transmissions are the same size and configuration to be able to swap from the driveshaft back...

Mechanical clutch vs. hydraulic - may be differences in the dimensions of the transmission and the output yolk.

When I did mine way back when, I transplanted the engine, transmission, driveshaft, and entire rear axle assembly. This then required the use of the pedal box of the '74, which also has a different brake set up. Etc., Etc. Ended up with the entire drivetrain and brakes from the '74.

Anyway, just some things to look at before committing.

BTW, I did mine because I needed a clutch at the time and I was looking at doing the 5 speed conversion in the distant future and couldn't with the '68's pedal box/clutch set up. Plus the undeniable love of everything roundie :P