ME WANT WOOF WACK!!!

bukaki_bob

GOSH!!

I've been looking for a nice roof rack for ages and i seem always to come to a dead end. does anyone know of any people who make wooden/metal vintage style racks or is their another car rack that can be also be fitted on mine. is it possible to mount a luggage rack on the roof?...let me know of any ideas

thanks people!

wood slats--and I suspect they'll fit your 02 either direcctly or with a small amount of modification.

Try to get the style that fits into the rain gutters and clamps on vs the ones with suction cups on the roof; the latter style can dent the roof. Per the owners manual, a 2002 can hold a roof rack with a total (gross) weight of 165 lbs.

mike

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,311258/view,previous/sid,c5dfd1aa7b1b4334c3aefdf8cc5866fe/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,743373/highlight,/sid,27131064a39c5f0edf788d0f859d85d1/

The second thread is the post from the guy that makes roof racks for VW rabbits. He said he charged roughly $275. Its near the bottom of the thread. I find that the forum search is pretty useless, I prefer to use the site search option, its got the power of the googles behind it.

I've seen a bike carrier and some other crazy stuff on the roof.

How rusty are your gutters, you'll probably want to rust-treat them and make sure they're strong.

Hey Elmer,

Check out Ebay and CL, but don't limit your searches. I got mine on ebay, ended up being $1 and $19 shipping. The catch was that it was that the owner said they had bought it at Sears and used it on an old Chevy that they drove cross country years ago. It's aluminum and steel, bolt together construction that clips to the drip rails. I figured it was worth a $20 gamble.

When I got it, I was suprised that it matched the 02 drip rails perfectly. It can't support much weight at all (it's mostly ornamental). I did beef up the side rails by putting some aluminum angle on the inside. The original patina and somewhat flaking paint is perfect for our vintage rally look.