Father/Son 1976 BMW 2002 Rebuild Project

tigerman99515

Hello everyone,

New to this blog so bear with me.

My son and I are restoring my 76' 2002. We are just starting out, have pulled the engine and are hauling it to the machine shop. We are new to restoring a car although we have lots of experience working on cars.

The car:

- Engine is shot - needs complete rebuild/possibly swap

- Some rust in the rear panels - I expect to find some more as we go

- Body looks solid and straight

The plan:

- Rebuild engine to normal specs

- Keep car original as much as possible with some exceptions

- Upgrades to include brakes, struts and wheels

- Keep and use original interior if possible

We are taking the car done to bare metal to repaint. Does it matter whether I change the color from the original red/rot - am I destroying something by doing that?

Thanks in advance to you all. We will be posting pictures here and posting questions to the general discussion forum as well.

We look forward to your ideas, comments and sugguestions.

Tiger and Spence

post-4874-13667632077071_thumb.jpeg

Have fun! Paint it whatever color suits you (it's not a tii or an early rare car)... Unless local smog inspection requires all the stock emissions equipment, I highly recommend you ditch it!!

Rebuild the thing with a tii exhaust manifold, and without all the emissions crap and you'll be MUCH happier. Other than that, just have fun!

Can't wait to see the updates.

My son and I just spent the past year doing the same thing to our 73 tii. It was a great experience. Take your time and have fun with it. Are you stripping the interior out to paint inside the shell as well? We did, it makes a big difference.

Paint it what ever color you want.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...