• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone successfully change the year on their title with DMV?

repoman

I know some of this has been discussed on this board, however, I am looking at a 10/75 production 2002 that is on the DMV records as a 1976 (therefore requiring smog). I believe the DMV may go by the year that the car was first sold.

Has anyone successfully changed it with the DMV to an earlier year without changing the VIN tags? If so, what proof did you need?

I may need to wait to until it is off the DMV radar, which is typically 6 years, however, when I called, this 02 has back fees due since 1999.

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

I've heard of someone doing that, they must have gotten lucky (basically it depends on who you talk to at the DMV and how careful they are). Technically your car is a proper '76 but if you can get an inattentive clerk to file some form, you'll be a '75.

California goes by model year not year sold. However, you may still get away with trying to change it by filing a couple of forms.

From the dmv's website:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch22_Corrections_and_Adjustments.pdf

Errors on Certificate of Title and/or Registration Card

•The Certificate of Title or an Application for Duplicate Title (REG 227) must be submitted to the department to correct most errors on the title or registration card.

•A Verification of Vehicle (REG 343) may be required to substantiate the error when the VIN or description of the vehicle (body type, year model, etc.) is in error.

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

I tried this a few months back...unsuccessful. I made an appointment, went to the DMV for inspection, and they shot me down REAL quick. I brought all kinds of "paperwork" from the internet, 2002 books and even the email from Andres Hartz on my car. The guy looked at my VIN, wrote it down, went inside, came back out and said "our book shows it's a 1976." 1976 cars also have a bunch of smog stickers in the engine bay, he saw those and said these were only put on cars 76+. He said the only thing I could do from here is go to CA Highway Patrol and try to get them to sign off for me. I didn't even waste my time. Hope this helps.

- Justin

'72 - 2533095 ex-auto, not stock

'76 - 2374191 PNO - boo, CA SMOG

I did call AAA, not the DMV, and they stated that they could verify the VIN, since I am a member.

That being said, I did ask what proof they would need to verify the year, and all they could tell me was that they look at the VIN#. I told them that the month/year is also stamped on the door.

I was also thinking of taking the email from Andreas as well as printing the production from realoem.com and Maximillian Imports

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

The DMV doesn't care about that stuff at all, as pointed out above. Your best bet is to remove those '76-only stickers and act dumb. Try different DMVs and different clerks until you find one that will screw up and change it for you. That's my best guess, but I don't have personal experience.

However, I took my '73 Bavaria to the DMV for "VIN verification" and the lady filling the form out kept looking for something under the hood. I asked her if she needs help and she said "I'm looking for the emissions label" ...I just acted stupid... "what's that?" ...then she said "hmm, I guess they didn't put emissions labels on back in '73, ok, whatever" and filled the rest of the form in and I was all set. Some other clerk might have gotten anal about all that BS but I got lucky.

no emissions testing on that old a vehicle (and thus they don't really care) and either change the year when you re-title or go in for a correction, then after a sufficient period, go back to CA for a re-title.

I was able to backdate the title on my Renault years ago when I changed from FL to OH simply by telling the title clerk that it was titled wrong. Guess they didn't figure on anyone wanting to make their car a year older, so they changed it to the correct year of manufacture.

Good luck--your DMV is another reason for not living in California!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

yep pulled it off. you have to walk in like you know your car like the back of your hand (as you should). heres what i did

Drive up to the vin check, wait for about an hour. some one comes up to help me and then i say hello make a smart joke that puts me on their good side. walk over to the hood. they ask me where the vin is and point on the other side of the engine bay. they walk over to the right side. read the vin. since it is a 7 digit vin they look confused. he checks the door and i tell him the other one is on the stearing colum. i recite my vin. to him. and then we walk to the back of the car and then i get what i have gotten since i bought an 02. every body- "so what model is it?" me- "Oh its right there" everybody- "2002 ? what its a 2002 what?" "no it is a bmw 2002... its got 2 liters and 2 doors Clever isn't it?" yeah i guess... DMV guy checking it- "so do you know what year it is?" me- "Yeah it's a 75, see when the person registered it they called it a 76 but i have done 3 vin checks, one being at bmw and they all said it is a 75." get my stamp and then walk up to the front counter of the dmv and tell them that i have an apointment regarding a vin check and a problem with my vehical's year. (I really do not have an apointment, i just feel that i do not need to wait in line at the dmw. if i am giving them free money i think i can do what i want. its not like i respect the dmv, do you?) then explan that my car is a 75 to the counter person and then i tell them that all want to do just make it smog exempt. they cange my year and walk away from the dmv with a feeling of win. i have done this for 2 cars now.

Since California is broke, just offer him a dollar or 2 to the general fund.

They don't need your dollar or 2, they get a bunch more for your smog check, licensing fees to smog check shops, etc... why do you think they keep smog checking ancient cars? ; )