markmac

I ran across some information on this care recently - this was a real early post in my blog, the front of the car sparked a certain amount of debate.

The car was a "works"prepared rallye car prototype designated "3002". It had a 3 liter 6 cylinder engine with 3 weber 45mm carburettors and yes it had the front clip from an E9 coupe. The car also used early ALPINA 3-Piece 13" wheels. The car was run in the Corsica Rallye 1970 and driven by Rauno Altonen and Mike Wood. Found some great color pics of the car on the BMW website, however they are copywrited and I am sure BMW would hunt me down like a dog if I posted them (too bad, very cool, car is Colorado Orange.....surprise)

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2009/05/more-historic-racing-bmw-2002s.html

1111169mv6.jpg

I found my pic.....I can remember seeing it as if it was yesterday.....it looks just like the one above..This pic was taken in the late 80's, maybe early 90's.

Either the driver or passenger reminded me of Leif Andenberg....maybe he knows something about this car.

Definitely had CA plates on it....if I can find the neg and blow it up, maybe a friendly CHP or similar could run the plates and find out more info....

post-16675-13667632088437_thumb.jpg

Naw, it's not ugly......

I kinda like the front grill treatment. The problem with this car is that it needs some TLC. The right spring/shock setup to properly adjust the attitude, a new paint job with BMW stripes, cleaned up engine bay, nice rockers and front fairing transitions, and smart wheels would do wonders. The other problem is that it isn't mine. That would be my track car for sure!

Marc

That white one must have been hacked together in the 1980's, it has hydro-boost brakes from an E23 7-series (so that the brake booster doesn't get in the way of the air horns), for one thing. The one with the actual E9 front looks kind of neat but the white one has E21 grilles and other strange 'styling' that doesn't quite do it for me.