• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M42 or M44 engine swap into an 02?

ewill2002

http://project-schnitzer.blogspot.com looks great for the M42.

Thanks, I hope to have the engine in by December, I have a long way to go but I am making decent progress so well see. With how light these little cars are they have got to feel great with the m42 in it. theres a few easy ways to get some extra displacement out of them. You could go for forced induction to get some more ponies but the engine bay is so confining it would be a challenge.

Anyone know if an ANSA sport exhaust will flow enough for the M42? I wont have the cat to restrict it so it should flow better than stock right?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could go for forced induction to get some more ponies but the engine bay is so confining it would be a challenge.

Pffft. :-)

IMG_1299.jpg

My next one WILL be a boosted M42, I'm actively looking for the car now.

I can not wait to see it. The m42 is a bit larger than the M10 but Im sure you realize that. Think you can get away with a top mount with the m42 without notching out the inner fender for some extra clearance?

also removing the front support really opens up the engine bay. You have any detailed shots of how you did it?

LOL. I cut a little the first time, some more the next and all of it this last time ( check my blog and some of my other posts ) Hell you are a local, you should come by on a Saturday and shoot the shit at the man cave.

Drop an Email to Imapinepig at comcast dot net and I'll send ya a phone number and directions.

I found out I did a boneheaded thing today when my turbo started making weird noises, let's just say a washer in the wrong place does neat things to turbine wheels ( I have a buddy ordering me one up already ).

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

Do you a more details about your mounts, or a write up on the install?

A search yields a bunch of scattered information with quite a bit of variations.

I know there shouldn't be much cutting. I also know that the exhaust has to be custom made. I also understood that hood clearance is an issue. Are there other significant concerns?

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Do you a more details about your mounts, or a write up on the install?

A search yields a bunch of scattered information with quite a bit of variations.

I know there shouldn't be much cutting. I also know that the exhaust has to be custom made. I also understood that hood clearance is an issue. Are there other significant concerns?

Here are a couple threads about my mounts.

Prices, details, etc

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,346835/highlight,/

A 02 build I did showing lots of details

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,345849/highlight,/

I have done a couple other m42 swaps as well. If you have any specific questions either post or shoot me an email (best/fastest response)

1985 e28 w/LS1/t56 and a bit more...

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

-Contact me for m42 mounts or e28 ls1 mounts-

www.classicdaily.net

The m42 is a bit larger than the M10

Actually, it's taller but shorter and no wider. (84mm pistons vs 89, single

row timing chain, bla-de bla de blah...)

I REALLY wish it could be had with an aluminum block.

Then we'd all just shut up and swap 'em in.

Nikasil, not Alusil- no, wait, what???

hee

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

this dutch installation makes it look tiny, but you wouldn't want to see how close the sump is to the ground.

m40.jpg

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

this dutch installation makes it look tiny, but you wouldn't want to see how close the sump is to the ground.

m40.jpg

my guess is dry sump. There is a company that makes a kit for it.

Interesting pic showing how low the sump is!!

Did not realize it may be that low. That is definitely a concern. My neighborhood has large speed bumps that may be a problem. Not to mention speed bumps in parking lots, debris in the streets and roadkill.

Good thing my suspension is tight. This conversion may require lots of twisting, turning and maneuvering. I do like that part.

Well, time to talk to my mechanic.

Thanks for all the information.

1976 2002 (Grey Ghost)

2002 X5 3.0i Newly Added

2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5i

1976 Malaga 2002 (totaled by city bus)

1985 535i (totaled. Hit from behind)

1981 320i (trade-in. AC issues)

LIFE IS SHORT, TIME TO DRIVE.

Interesting pic showing how low the sump is!!

Did not realize it may be that low. That is definitely a concern. My neighborhood has large speed bumps that may be a problem. Not to mention speed bumps in parking lots, debris in the streets and roadkill.

Good thing my suspension is tight. This conversion may require lots of twisting, turning and maneuvering. I do like that part.

Well, time to talk to my mechanic.

Thanks for all the information.

this dutch guy mounted his engine very, very low, and towards the back - great idea, but as you can see it does make for a vunerbale sump. I seem to recall he had to do something with the drag link too.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg