Another Exhaust Fumes in Cabin Question - HELP!!!

I am growing increasingly concerned about an exhaust smell coming into the cabin of my 1976 2002 4-speed. Even with the windows open it is terrible. It causes my clothes to reek horribly. The smell is especially bad when decelerating.

The Ansa system was recently installed by a shop in Tucson.

The previous owned had the car painted, and removed the seal between the trunk lid and body. I have purchased a replacement, and hope this will help.

I can feel warm air coming from the area under the gear shift boot.

I've reviewed a number of threads on the subject on the forum, and am just wondering if there's anything more that anyone can add.

Thanks!

One other set of seals to check are the underhood seals around the heater intake plenum. If there is any oil leaking onto the exhaust it will come through the heater straight into the car unless that area is well blocked off. The drain tubes from the same plenum area into the engine compartment can also let engine compartment fumes enter the car.

One way to diagnose where its coming from...buy the fragrant tree air fresheners...I put 2 in my trunk...drove down the road and my cabin filled with Vanilla (or was it Pina Colada?) anyway...I was AMAZED how much got in the cabin from the trunk. It was so strong it was as if I had opened them in the car. I got it mostly on deceleration. A sweet smell when downshifting..lol..Try it...it may point you in which direction to attack forst...then when you think you have it nailed...put in a fresh couple of trees...and see if it persists. Keep treating areas until the smell no longer gets into the cabin.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Took JRhone's advice and put 2 COCONUT air fresheners in my trunk this morning in hopes of tracking where the exhaust fumes were coming from.

Within a few minutes of driving the entire car smelled like coconut.

What do I do next? From other posts I've read on the subject some people replaced the fuel tank sender gasket, others said to replace the seal around the tail light gaskets. JRhone- what did you do?

thanks.

Inspect the trunk seal for cracks, tears or a gap where the (2) ends meet.

Leave car in bright sunlight, crawl in trunk with reliable helper outside, close trunk lid and look for sunlight.

Use $ 1 bill to close trunk then pull on it to see if the latch is pulling it tight along the seal.

Remove the right-side trunk board and inspect the fuel hoses and filler neck rubber boot. Gas nozzles can poke thru old ones.

Install a new shifter seal under the car.

Replace your (3) hood seals and (3) drain tubes in the cowl.

PLEASE Stop driving the car until you fix it.

• 3 years later...

I drove my beloved Growly home from a garage after the pedal lever was fixed. I got really sick smelling the fume in the car despite me leaving my window open. This forum left me feeling hopeful that I can fix Growly but I cannot move forward until I buy a book that will help me identify what is what in the car. What book do you recommend that I to use so that I can install seal where it leaks?

A bit more information about myself. I am a female who got really mad at her best friend's brother who sold his 1976 BMW 2002 for newer BMW back in the early 1980's. My DH got me this former race car so that I can use it for driving around. It still looks very cute but powerful and loud. I don't care just as long as I get to drive this nimble car around. But, I cannot stand the fume.

Great thread!

Love the coconut air freshener trick. All my seals are A1, but there was a time when they weren't. Car did smell of exhaust and gasoline.

Great advice given.

Now I just have to solve the infamous gas smell IN the trunk. Tank appears clean all round, no leaks, and all connections (seals) tight and undamaged. Not dangerously strong, but aggravating.

I placed foam weather stripping on top of my trunk seal - very easy to do, cheap and did the trick.  when you decelerate, you create a vacuum and the trunk sucks in the exhaust which is easily passed into the cabin.  Do the under hood seals as well

I had the same issue - now no fumes!  Foam weather stripping is available at the big box home building stores or your local hardware store if they survived the big box onslaught. 

Jeff

I drove my beloved Growly home from a garage after the pedal lever was fixed. I got really sick smelling the fume in the car despite me leaving my window open. This forum left me feeling hopeful that I can fix Growly but I cannot move forward until I buy a book that will help me identify what is what in the car. What book do you recommend that I to use so that I can install seal where it leaks?

A bit more information about myself. I am a female who got really mad at her best friend's brother who sold his 1976 BMW 2002 for newer BMW back in the early 1980's. My DH got me this former race car so that I can use it for driving around. It still looks very cute but powerful and loud. I don't care just as long as I get to drive this nimble car around. But, I cannot stand the fume.

Hi Growly, there are some good books on the 02, one that I would recommend is "BMW '02 Restoration Guide" by Mike Macartney. also the Haynes "Owners Workshop Manual".  Then there is the BMW factory manual, the Blue Book that you can pick up used for about $150. Also you should use the search box in the upper right hand corner. Then click on the gray box and select "google". Tons of information.

I would suggest that you introduce yourself to the list by starting a new post since you are tagging off a four year old post. Add a few pictures of your car so we can see what it needs.  You will find a lot useful information here.