getrag 245/10 to m10 engine?

lchan2002

hi guys,

so as quick recap i just recently bought a roundie that didn't run. PO blew up the engine, i've never drivien it, yadda yadda yadda. well, i feel a bit foolish because i didn't do a full inspection of what i had in terms of parts and i ASSUMED that i had the stock 4 speed.

the other day i was watching top gear and one of the cars that they were driving had a "dog-leg" tranny, and my friend asked me, "hey, is that how yours is?" and i answered "naw."

but then i got curious. and i shifted through the gears. and i discovered that there were six shift positions total. around this point, my head exploded because i had been intending to do a five-speed swap at some point anyway and i was stoked.

anyways, to make a story that has already been unnecessarily long shorter, i looked up five speeds and crawled under my car to see what i had, and it appears that i have a getrag 245/10 close-ratio. being an '02 noob, i could be wrong, so please see the pic to help me identify.

i did some further searching on this forum and i have seen a lot of talk about this tranny only being usable for the m20 swap, but have not found a definitive answer regarding whether this is a usable, suitable, or even desirable transmission for the m10. so my question is this: will it be worth it for me to keep it (i'm sticking with the m10, no m20 swap in the near future), or should i pawn it off to a m20 swapper in need?

any help would be appreciated. thanks!

post-18673-13667632000659_thumb.jpg

post-18673-13667632001343_thumb.jpg

I have one in my '74 2002 and love it! The steps between the gearings are much more like those on an old Alfa 5 Speed. I don't give a damn about the engine running at lower rpms while cruising down the highway I have a Toyota truck if I want low revs. If you don't like your close ratio unit, I would gladly trade you an excellent overdrive 5 speed for it.

By the pictures I'm not able to make 100% identification. However I can point that it has 2002 type clutch slave cylinder and fork so it is not from 3-series. The casing is 2-piece. 2002 5-speeds were 3-piece.

Based on these points most likely is that you're mistaken about the slots and the box is standard 4-gear. It's pretty hard to identify the number of gears from non-running car especially if the shifter bushings are worn. I once bought a whole car thinking it had 5-speed as it was advertised, and the only reason to buy it was the 5-speed... which it didn't have.

Tommy

By the pictures I'm not able to make 100% identification. However I can point that it has 2002 type clutch slave cylinder and fork so it is not from 3-series. The casing is 2-piece. 2002 5-speeds were 3-piece.

Based on these points most likely is that you're mistaken about the slots and the box is standard 4-gear. It's pretty hard to identify the number of gears from non-running car especially if the shifter bushings are worn. I once bought a whole car thinking it had 5-speed as it was advertised, and the only reason to buy it was the 5-speed... which it didn't have.

Tommy

haha if the bushings are worn it could potentially shift into non-existant gears? if this is the case with mine i feel pretty dumb but hey, you live you learn. i'll have to crawl under there and check out the id numbers on the rear of it to get to the bottom of the mystery. anyways, thanks guys. if it turns out to in fact be a 245/10 then i have a decision to make, and if i end up getting rid of it i will contact those who are interested. if it ends up being a 4spd, then let's just pretend this never happened.

okay so here's a quick update:

i must be looking in the wrong spot, because the only numbers i can find on the rear of the transmission are 32013900 and 225. a google search of the term "getrag 225" seems to point out that clueless folk like me ask about what a getrag 225 is and no one gives any useful answers. i'm still stumped, but am leaning more and more towards thinking it's a 4spd. but seriously, why the hell does it feel like it has 5 gears!?

good thing i've got some time before i drop the new motor in so i can figure this out.

if i have time tomorrow i'll post a pic of where i got those numbers from and maybe someone can help me out.

225's on the back of a lot of standard 4- speeds. Porsche synchros, but only from memory...

Where are you finding what feels like 5th? I've had 4- speeds

that let you go into 'dogleg first'- but there wasn't really a gear there.

I've also had linkage so sloppy you hadn't a hope in hell of feeling what was going on...

hth

t

225's on the back of a lot of standard 4- speeds. Porsche synchros, but only from memory...

Where are you finding what feels like 5th? I've had 4- speeds

that let you go into 'dogleg first'- but there wasn't really a gear there.

I've also had linkage so sloppy you hadn't a hope in hell of feeling what was going on...

hth

t

exactly the info i was looking for! yeah, it is going into "dogleg first" which is why i got all excited because it never occured to me that the slot could be a phantom gear. thanks toby and everyone else for your input. now let's all forget that i ever posted this......