14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

I know it sounds backwards, mates, but...

stumpedtown

I've got a super good line on a 1600 engine, freshly rebuilt, that I am thinking of slipping in to my '74 2002 because I have had the head gasket blow in the 2002 and need the damn thing to run now but also don't have the garage nor the time or money to do the rebuild now. Question is, will a 1600 engine bolt in to the 2002? I've read about the opposite kind of swap and that there are some transmission considerations, do those apply in reverse? :/ Thanks guys and gals.

thing is i can't afford machine work, nor do i have the physical facilities to disassemble an engine and dig into it to do gasket work, piston rings, etc... from what i can gauge in the heynes manual i have, it will be easier to do this than to do the top down work - which i could then complete at a later time, with the engine out of the car, and truly do a nice job with no shortcuts. this rebuilt 1600 engine is only $350 by the way, if that helps add some context.

Just depends on whats wrong with your engine...you said a head gasket...that doesnt always mean machine shop, and it can be done with standard tools...no rings or piston work, hell I didnt remove the distributor, carb or intake...didnt even have to time the car once it was finished. Basic tools and like I said...about 6 hours in my garage. I also did one in my old datsun in front of my house on the street.

The only machine work that is mandatory is taking the head down to make sure it is flat this will require machine work if it has warped. That really depends on how hot it got when the gasket blew. If you have a good eye and a flat edge you can probably tell yourself if the head has warped. I have done head gaskets on the side of the road, you need no special facilities and regular hand tools and a torque wrench should do it.

its true that the cylinder head might not need to be machined but that doesnt mean that the head couldnt benefit from a trip through the local machine shop for example e21-e12-121ti-121 heads suffer from corrodid cooling jackets wich can be repaired if it gos to the right machine shop and dont forget about magna fluxing to check for tiny cracks.

its true that the cylinder head might not need to be machined but that doesnt mean that the head couldnt benefit from a trip through the local machine shop for example e21-e12-121ti-121 heads suffer from corrodid cooling jackets wich can be repaired if it gos to the right machine shop and dont forget about magna fluxing to check for tiny cracks.

Agreed! If you have the chance...take it and get it fixed up...BUT the OP was stating that he didnt have the money and a $100 fix is cheaper than $300 and doing an entire engine swap.