14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

02 engine block

I just saw a 1973 02 which ran beautifully after not being on road for 3-4 years. It wasn't much to look at, as its original paint was mostly gone and the front seats were ripped, but the engine purred at speeds up to 50 mph. My only reservation is that I noted a vertical crack (slight) in the manifold ?

Should I be concerned about a $2K purchase with lots of spare parts ?

Looking for forum's expertise on this one-thank you in advance for any intel.

Spares include: new rocker panel, replacement red fender, engine head, various boxes of hoses and clamps and such, possibly another exhaust manifold, old carburetor (has Webber now) and the detritus from 4 other 02s

There is considerable rust but not in shock towers. 1 rocker panel replaced which caused the fender damage and the other rusted. Rust also apparent over rear wheel. Besides that smaller areas around the car but I can't emphasize enough how well the car ran!

Guest Anonymous

Countless members here will tell you how much more expensive and time consuming body work is than engine/drivetrain work. Dont make more work for yoursef (and the mistake I did), buy a car with a good body and find a cheap motor from a junk yard or member on this boar that will last you until you can afford a rebuild.