14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Easier way to install lower rear brake spring...

KFunk

Here's what ya do:

Loosen all adjusters, pop the spring into the holes on both sides. Then to get the center of the spring over the post in the back... find a flathead screwdriver of the proper length, and wedge it between the center of the spring and the concrete floor beneath you. Just push the side of the handle of the screwdriver, till its almost vertical, and it'll push the spring upward and almost over the center post. Make sure the outside prongs are still stuck in their respective shoes all the way, and not ready to pop out. If not, use a C-clamp to gently push them back in there. Don't use a screwdriver, you'll end up popping your other screwdriver out of place.

Next to finish the job, pop in another screwdriver or cold chisel in the center of the spring (next to your other one), tilted at an angle to make it pop up and over, and whack it with a hammer. Pop, it all falls into place.

Hopefully this helps. I've been looking for a good solution for a while, and have never seen one that's very straightforward. The special vise grip method just never worked well for me.

Now I've just gotta do it a couple more times whenever my new brake shoes arrive. For the record, don't get the $20 Duralasts from Autozone. I tried to get some from AutohausAZ first, and later on they e-mailed me to say that their website was wrong, and they couldn't get them for me. Then I got the Autozone ones for a quick fix, disassembled things, only to find the Duralasts had no spacer between the E-Brake lever and the shoe, so there's no room for the upper spring... so they gave me my money back... now I'm waiting for a different parts store to get me OE quality shoes on Monday, and had to reassemble the old shoes for weekend travels...