Manufacturers door label, never found these for sale before!

harry6422

Hi Harry;

Good to see you apparently weren't caught up in the FBI arrests today. :-)

As you may know, both the mfg. date and the VIN are spelled out with small, punched-out numbers. I would think you could carefully lay both out in pencil and then, with the label on a piece of wood, punch them in with an ice pick. The holes are very small, so you'd want to just puncture the surface. My mfg. date is stamped thus: 03 75

The VIN, even though I know my number, is nearly impossible to decipher. So, even if you were not "spot-on" I doubt that anyone could tell it from the authentic one.

FWIW The distance down from the center of the bottom philips head screws, that hold the latch, to the top of the label is exactly 2", thou I doubt the Hans or Otto were that exact with original placement.

Cheers,

Bob Napier

probably because the original door must have been damaged when the car was shipped. It had a replacement driver's door when I bought the car. This door had black primer on the inside, and little or no Sahara paint on the door's inner panels. A factory door would have had much more Sahara paint on the inside, and any primer showing would have been light grey.

No paperwork nor recollection of the original owner that the door had been damaged/replaced during his ownership, so must have happened before it was sold new (by Mill Valley Imports in California). I've seen the stickers on '72s; not sure about 71s.

mike

Hi Harry;

Good to see you apparently weren't caught up in the FBI arrests today. :-)

Cheers,

Bob Napier

Hey Bob! I think you mistook one Harry for another (all those Harrys are alike). LOL!! The arrests were here in Puerto Rico, much to the island's disgrace.

All the best to you and the boss!

Cheers,

Caribbean Harry

My 71 has one, but I don't think the door is original. The sticker is blank, obviously never filled out, but its painted (original paint) sahara everywhere, unlike mike's car. Could be a replacement sahara door.

Jordan

May be original after all. Here is mine and I can vouch for it since I drove it out of the BMW factory gate in Sept 71. It has no VIN no either.

post-247-13667631958676_thumb.jpg

Here is my original one which was carefully masked off before the car was painted.

doorjamb2.jpg

Closeup (the VIN is very faint)

MfgDatesticker.jpg

Here is one from a newer car (built July 1975). Note the slightly heavier weights - no doubt from the 74+ cars reinforcements, bumpers and insulation. Also note the numbers are made up of individual dots.

Marcs75Jadegrun007.jpg

I know I will open a can of worm. The door sticker is a proof of compliance and identity. You guys realize that replacing the original door sticker by one of these eBay repros would be considered a forgery and most likely a criminal offense. Especially when punching your own VIN...

I am sure there are legal ways to do it, such as having a notary certifying the car though.