mirrors- what would you do? (WWYD)

cheaptoads

hi everyone,

i bought a pair of side mirrors from a guy on ebay to replace the tragically 80's black plastic ones that were fitted to my car god knows when. no complaints about the mirrors, or the guy i bought em from, except that they don't fit!

i think i've figured out what might be going on...

imagine a time, reagan was probably president- someone decided to replace the passenger door on this car. instead of courteously anticipating my futuristic meager endeavors to restore this automotive bundle of love, they decided to drill new holes in their new passenger door to fit these awful plastic things, which i'm sure where very stylish in a gated community circa 1986. complicating the matter, the driver's side door was also punctured with 2 new holes, inside of the original holes. i haven't investigated the driver side too closely yet, but it does appear as if the original mounting holes were filled- they are possibly re-usable. anyhow- anyone got any ideas for how to deal with the passenger door? i'm considering driling a new hole but i fear it would overlap the existing one. maybe a self tapping screw is the answer? i've also considered possibly trying to modify the plastic mirror's bracket to fit the chrome mirror, but i think i'd have to modify the base of the mirror as well... any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

post-18206-13667631893611_thumb.jpg

ok, so maybe I'm a bit pedestrian, but assuming that this will all be covered by the new mirrors mounting bracket couldn't you just use the bigger hole? Inside the door place a fender washer and a nut, screw the bits down tight and call it a day?

you would have to pop the interior panel off the door to do it thought.

ymmv.

Dave

Make a paper template based on the proper holes for your driver's side mirror--since we know the factory mounted it correctly. Use the leading edge of the door and the bottom of the window sill trim as positioning for the template.

Then simply turn the template over and it'll show you the proper spot for your pax side mirror mounts. If there's sufficient clearance from the PO-drilled holes, use the cage nuts per the factory; if not, those "Rivnuts"--if they're large enough--will work just fine. They are plenty strong--I used some to secure the handle to an old refrigerator where the original sheet metal screws had pulled out.

Be sure and cover the unused holes from the old mirror with some electrical or duct tape just to keep the water out, and touch up the edges of the new holes with paint to prevent rust.

cheers

mike