Windshield washer pump question

Jim356

Gang - my washer pump was non-functional when I got my 72. I am now just getting around to fixing it. The motor was seized so i took it all apart, cleaned and now when jumped it works fantastic. When hooked up it does not. Question: is there supposed to be 12 volts all the time (that's what I get when I hook up the meter and ground to the body) and when grounded via the wash lever, spin the motor? It seems odd to me that it should have juice all the time but maybe that is the design and my wash lever is bad or needs contacts cleaning? Thanks, Jim

pump is the ground, and I'll bet it isn't. If you have +12v on the hot lead at the pump connection (only when the wash/wipe lever is pulled) that won't do you any good if the ground wire isn't functioning. Try this:

1. run a jumper wire from the ground terminal on the pump to a good known ground (valve cover nut, for example). Now see if the pump works when you pull the lever.

2. To see if the wash/wipe lever switch is working, give it a pull. If the wipers give you four or five strokes and then turn off (but no wash action), then the lever is working properly. No wiper strokes, then the lever is bad (or its fuse or relay is--keep reading).

3. On a 72, the wash/wipe action is controlled by the wiper relay--under the dash near the hood release lever. "Wisch-Wash-Geber" is printed on it. If the relay inside is stuck or not functioning, your wash/wipe feature won't work. You can pull the cover off the relay and observe the point set inside that controls the wash/wipe to see if they're functioning. You might even be able to fix 'em if they're stuck.

Have fun!

mike