Thunderdrome Moped Race!

KFunk

I'm considering a road trip to Detroit for this....

http://thunderdrome.com/

I still haven't decided, but I really do need to fill my quota for craziness this year. Unfortunately I don't think they'll allow my RX50 motorcycle, but I may try to bullshit it in anyways (if the crowd supports it). I would not want to win with the RX50 though, since it'd look bad.

I'd probably end up riding my friend's Tomos moped. I put a 70cc kit on it for him a while back. He can't seem to find an XL Snell helmet he can borrow, and I'm not sure if he'd be comfortable with real racing action. I've done a 24 Hours of LeMons (true 24hr, all night), so I'm usually up for crazy. This might be something else, though. The moped is not terribly comfortable or easy to handle, and not as well prepared yet as I'd like. I do have armored pants and jacket, Snell helmet, etc. We could probably stay at my friend's parents' house in Toledo, so there shouldn't be the fear of being in Detroit at night.

Anybody else going, or have any thoughts?

I'm going, of course I'm also one of the organizers so, I'm kind of required to be there.

Now, onto your questions. Your RX 50 wouldn't be eligible for the moped or scooter class, however we've had overwhelming demand for a pit bike class which we're cooking up rules and entry for right now. Your Ape would definitely fit in there.

You'd be welcomed to race in both classes though, we've got several bike racers running in everything (hardcore).

Anyway, no need to fear staying around Detroit. As a general rule though, out of towners should stay in hotels north of 8 mile (M102), it's just easier that way.

We'll be watching out for you though, being a LeMons racer means you're sneaky -- we may throw in a couple of BS penalty laps just for good measure.

I'm going, of course I'm also one of the organizers so, I'm kind of required to be there.

Now, onto your questions. Your RX 50 wouldn't be eligible for the moped or scooter class, however we've had overwhelming demand for a pit bike class which we're cooking up rules and entry for right now. Your Ape would definitely fit in there.

You'd be welcomed to race in both classes though, we've got several bike racers running in everything (hardcore).

Anyway, no need to fear staying around Detroit. As a general rule though, out of towners should stay in hotels north of 8 mile (M102), it's just easier that way.

We'll be watching out for you though, being a LeMons racer means you're sneaky -- we may throw in a couple of BS penalty laps just for good measure.

Holy crap man, thanks for popping on here! I'll see what I can do!

Whoa, wait a sec Ben. I just realized why you said 'Ape.' I think you confused my bike with the Aprilia RX50. My bike is a 1983 Yamaha RX50. It's a pretty rare bike, basically a street-legal japanese cruiser motorcycle with the engine from a YSR50. It's 50cc, 2-stroke, 5-speed, tops out between 45 and 50 mph, etc. It's all stock, except I have 3 different front sprockets I can swap back and forth. It'll probably be slow as crap compared to the better built bikes, though.