S14 265 Getrag Gearbox cross member question

M2002Evo

This question is targeted at the members who have used the 265 Getrag Gearbox in there s14 Conversions. I want to how members have fitted the s14 Gearbox cross member to the BMW 2002 frloor pan as it mounts higher at the passenger side and lower on the drivers side?

Also is there another bmw gearbox cross member that mounts more squarely on a horizontal plain that could be used?

I'm asking the question as I'm fitting the 265 Gearbox to my BMW 2002 as part of an s14 Conversion and would prefer using a cross member that will mount to the 2002 floor pan without resorting to cutting up the floor pan.

Any advice welcome

post-2296-13667631748001_thumb.jpg

Doing one now. Is your 265 a dogleg cr? the box is higher and you need to mod the tunnel to get it to fit. The car I am putting it in was an automatic and the tunnel is a little wider and an easier fit but cutting is still necessary. You can use a 320i 5 speed box that is a much easier conversion. lots of info on faq for that conversion.

Doing one now. Is your 265 a dogleg cr? the box is higher and you need to mod the tunnel to get it to fit. The car I am putting it in was an automatic and the tunnel is a little wider and an easier fit but cutting is still necessary. You can use a 320i 5 speed box that is a much easier conversion. lots of info on faq for that conversion.

Yes, I have the 265 doleg CR box. I have already fabricated the transmission tunnel and the gearbox fits really nicely. My only concern is the gearbox mount as its not level since it was made for the E30 floor pan.

I'm looking for a mount that is level at both the driver and passenger sides so I dont have to make a special mount for the Gearbox.

Hmm, that makes some sense.

Here's mine, but I am not sure which mounting bracket it is.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v355/raykoke/?action=view&current=IMG_0013.jpg

GL,

Ray

I think what you want is a cross member from a 5 speed 80-81 E12 or E24. The 4 speed parts from the earlier versions of these cars might work too. '85-only E28 will probably work too.

Thanks Ray/Bill,

The mount on the back of Ray's gearbox looks like its from the E21 5 Speed?

Ray, I noticed that you only have the one mount on the back of the 265 Gearbox. Is that enough support considering the amount of torque the s14 engine produces through the drive train. Have you noticed any vibrations etc??

Bill, I'll also have a look at the 5 speed mounts from the e12, e28 transmissions I'm sure the 265 CR box was also fitted to the e28 M5 but can't seem to find a picture to confirm what type of mounts was used.

Thanks again

D

Good question Divyesh. Generally speaking I think the support is adequate. I do, however, have poly mounts which help.

On the other hand I've replaced more than my quota of flex discs!

Best,

Ray

Thanks Ray/Bill,

The mount on the back of Ray's gearbox looks like its from the E21 5 Speed?

Ray, I noticed that you only have the one mount on the back of the 265 Gearbox. Is that enough support considering the amount of torque the s14 engine produces through the drive train. Have you noticed any vibrations etc??

Bill, I'll also have a look at the 5 speed mounts from the e12, e28 transmissions I'm sure the 265 CR box was also fitted to the e28 M5 but can't seem to find a picture to confirm what type of mounts was used.

Thanks again

D

I asked the question as my s14 is 2.5L evo sport with a few extras and I recall you also have a 2.5 s14 in your car. They produce alot of torque at high revs so you need good engine and gearbox mounts.

I finished fabricating the transmission tunnel to accept the 265 gearbox and original mount. I have enough clearance all round and i've shorted the gear linkage too. I'm just not happy with the way the gearbox mount fits the floor pan so i'm looking for an alternative.

When you fitted the 265 how much clearance do you have with the steering centre tie rod?? I have roughly 1"

post-216-1366763177427_thumb.jpg

Why don't you just weld up some tabs on the floor? You've gone that far so what's the problem? Nothing is going to fit off the shelf exactly.

Because the s14 cross member has a height difference on the drivers/passenger side (see picture) the extra height had to protrude into the drivers floor by about 2". This height difference plus the extra metal to strengthen the floor around the mount has left little clearance with the driver clutch pedal.

I'm looking for a cross member mount that does not have a height difference. I think the e28 M5 had the same 265 gearbox fitted but can't be find out what type of cross member was used.

DivyeshM2002Evo,

This isn't a particularly helpful post, but this what I've seen with the G265, (thanks for the authors for pics and info):

1. Custom: http://www.coupeking.com/product_main.php?product_id=430&image_id=1240687590

2. Not sure what was done here by Matt at SCR on Paul's car. You've seen this post: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,295112/postdays,0/postorder,asc/topic_view,/start,0/

3. A couple shops on the east (VSR, VAC, Kermit Upton, et al) and west (Carl Nelson, Marc Norris, et al) coasts of the USA have used this tranny with the s14, but I don't know what they ended up using for tranny mounts. For this s14/G265 combo, custom tweaking of the front subframe, oil pan, motor mounts, and tranny mounts seem to involve a high degree of witchcraft and skill. I thought I had this info stored somewhere, but I can't find it.

Sorry I don't have more info. I plan on doing this someday too....

• Like 1

Thanks Mike your a diamond **

Its exactly what I was looking for..perfect! I noticed that they used the shape and profile of the original mount and fabricated one to look like the original but allowed the use of spacers to adjust for the height difference.

Thanks again !