14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

ethics question...

auggiemize

I slept thru alot of my philosophy classes back in '73, and a bit of a selling noob....And I'm getting ready to offfer some very nice parts for sale...

Let's say I have an excellant c.1976 locking gas cap and I get two responses in this order from the following post:

For sale: Locking gas cap blahblahblahlabhalblblbbb, email for pictures, $30.....

*Please send pictures, fredphart@dogpatch.tn ...and...

*Will take it, please send pictures to highlyseelassie@upyours.af

Does Highly get the nod since he committed to buy, or does Fred since he asked for pictures first? Yes I'm having fun, but it is a serious question...Thanks, Dave V. in NC

In my opinion, Fred just expressed an interest, Highly committed to buying them, so, he's numero uno. Yea, I know, after seeing the photos, Highly may say, "Those are crap and I don't want them." But, in that case, he's the bad guy, not you.

Bob Napier

i agree...imho, the best way to avoid this scenario is by always posting pictures or a link to pics...many don't and therein, lies the question...i've been overlooked in favor of inquiring minds and as well, have had to tell buyers with cash in hand that the legit thing to do is give the inquiring mind the 1st opportunity

the answer is...where do you draw the line after you've provided the ask'd for info...how long do you keep the money waiting....now, the monkey's back on you as the seller...

imho...the best way to avoid pissing people off is to very clearly state the conditions of the sale...look at some of brad thomas' sales threads...he does it right

I'm no horticulturist, but wouldn't it be proper to inquire as to the kindness of the Emperor's crops before making a hasty decision regarding a gas cap? You can bet your ass I'd trade a gas cap for some green-thumbed Ethiopian grass nap. Seems like the most ethical thing to do, what with his Highness being the son of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba.

Just saying.

Funny, I was going to type exactly the same thing. You beat me to it.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

I'm no horticulturist, but wouldn't it be proper to inquire as to the kindness of the Emperor's crops before making a hasty decision regarding a gas cap? You can bet your ass I'd trade a gas cap for some green-thumbed Ethiopian grass nap. Seems like the most ethical thing to do, what with his Highness being the son of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba.

Just saying.

I slept thru alot of my philosophy classes back in '73, and a bit of a selling noob....And I'm getting ready to offfer some very nice parts for sale...

Let's say I have an excellant c.1976 locking gas cap and I get two responses in this order from the following post:

For sale: Locking gas cap blahblahblahlabhalblblbbb, email for pictures, $30.....

*Please send pictures, fredphart@dogpatch.tn ...and...

*Will take it, please send pictures to highlyseelassie@upyours.af

Does Highly get the nod since he committed to buy, or does Fred since he asked for pictures first? Yes I'm having fun, but it is a serious question...Thanks, Dave V. in NC

Business ethics - if there is one - is ruled by law, in business there is little "morality", but yes, of course, the consequences of not acting in good faith are not really good for business in the long term, but when it comes to transactions like this, it is all about "a contract".

First response: no contract

Second response: no contract - I see it as " don't sell it to anyone with cash, until I get a chance to look at it and make up my mind"

I deal with the second like this: here are the pictures, you have 24 hours to send the cash, otherwise I go to the second or third person. I let the second and third person know I am already dealing with the first..When it is sold, I let everybody know.

because of the lack of immediacy on selling thru the internet (even Ebay), there isn't really a contract & you really have to give people deadlines.

The only ethical issue is to deal with one buyer at a time, and let everybody know that they must wait their turn, otherwise just Ebay it!

Normally, I would say to go for the first committed buyer. BUT, you specifically said to 'e-mail for pictures.' Sooo.... the first guy actually followed your instructions and asked for pictures.. shouldn't punish him for just doing what you said. Send him the pictures and let him decide, and give him first option (as long as he's prompt in deciding). Give him 1 day, and if no response, go to the next guy.

Das Kapital has no ethics... Take the money and run, first come first serve, money talks bs walks etc

joking aside, when there are more than one interest, I would kindly ask in the order of interest (top to bottom) for commitment and wait few days. If the first fails, go to second etc. Keep inform the interested parties in the mean time either here or via email so all the parties know what is going on with the sale.