14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Dim Headlight solution - I am using brights

ejs

1. check the voltage at your headlights; betcha is way less than 12v. On a '73, the headlights do not go through a relay--the current passes directly through the switch with a concurrent voltage drop. You can wire in a fused relay for the high beams pretty easily for a big improvement--high beams aren't fused on a 73 either.

2. Low beams are individually fused (no relay there either). Clean/replace the fuses--that should help headlight brightness. You can also install relays for the low beams too--to improve light output.

3. If you're running US sealed beams, lose 'em for some Euro halogen headlights--Cibies or Marchals seem to be the best, although there's nothing wrong with Bosch or Hella.

4. Mount a pair of driving lights wired to go on with the high beams. Then you'll REALLY have light!

cheers

mike

I guess my simple solution isn't so smart. Will digest this and figure out how to do it correctly. Did not know I had so many options. My headlights are pretty dim and I needed to do something. Thanks.

This forum is one of the best reasons to own a 2002. You can not get advice like this for any other car that I am aware of. All you need to do is a search and then you can sound kind of smart. I need to remember that.

What Mike said- installing relays is probably the best way to increase your headlight output. There is a non-linear relationship between voltage at the lamp connector and the light output (much more light output with small increases in voltage). Also check your headlight ground- use an Ohmmeter between the ground connector and chassis... should be near 0. One more thing: is it possible that you have the original, incandescent lamps in this car? If so, you can get a large increase in light output by upgrading to halogen sealed beams, at a modest price. There are other upgrades, but more expensive.