14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Fuel Sending Unit Disassembles Itself

rustdogbrown

If the nut is still in place, then the little plastic piece that the nut's stud is fastened to has somehow disintegrated sufficiently to allow the nut to pull through the plastic and allow the whole thing to come apart.

Make sure you fish all the missing pieces out of the tank, either with long needlenose pliers and/or a magnet.

mike

I reassembled the fuel sending unit and it works fine. The nut that holds it altogether did not pull through the plastic; the plastic was not disintegrated. When the nut came off it fell right onto the fine mesh screen. At this point the canister housing drops down a little allowing the tip of the pickup tube to separate from the plastic hole in the bottom of the canister. Now, here is where it gets weird, the nut must have migrated up through that hole because when I found it was inside the canister.

I have been have fuel starvation issues and fixing this sending unit seems to have cured it. I guess if the pickup tube is not located to the hole at the bottom of the canister it does not do a good job of sucking in fuel.

Hope this helps someone in the future.