Woo to the Effing Hoo!

robspeed

Parents gifted us (que Bob Barker announcer dude:) A BRAND NEW CAR!!! which I brought home last night finally.

Partially "early inheritance" and partially celebration of Jenna's imminent arrival in less than a month now and partially so their precious grandson can ride around in airbagged-and-modern-structured glory, I submit:

100_0153.jpg

its a 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS, base model with manual transmission. Drove it home last night from Indy, where we got the best deal by far. It was $19,999.00 out the door with taxes and title, and the window tinting job. VERY roomy car, nice power (198 from 2.4l all alluminum 4 banger), and i really like the shifter action. I only test drove the automatic version (manuals are quite rare) so I was pleasantly surprised by the niceness of the action... anyway yeah... ;-)

Excellent news regarding Jenna, and nice new car!

Now bleed the brakes, check the brake pads, verify trans and steering fluid levels, rebuild the carb, inspect the steering and suspension for wear...

Oh yeah, it's a NEW car. Forget that other crap. DRIVE it.

Are you gonna go with fender flares and IE stage 2 springs?

Grice

Excellent news regarding Jenna, and nice new car!

Now bleed the brakes, check the brake pads, verify trans and steering fluid levels, rebuild the carb, inspect the steering and suspension for wear...

Grice

HEH!

I stalled it twice this morning driving to work. I feel like a teenage girl!! Im so used to the e30 clutch and torque curve, I am having to re-do the "muscle memory" for the Sonata. It has quite a bit of torque down low (Korean Vanos) and a good bit more power than the e30 in general.

Now to detail the living shit out of the e30 so I can sell it and pay the new car's insurance (and maybe put some away for a set of proper wheels to replace the steelies+caps... next spring mebbe.)

My 2nd youngest brother just bought a 2011 Sonata GLS, bluetooth and all the toys, nice shade of red as well, automatic..traded in his Nissan Altima. bought it from the Fuccillo dealership, he's "Huge" now.

Tim.

they all come with bluetooth! Hyundai is known (or should be) for including a lot of stuff that are options on other makes standard on their cars. Mine is the basest of the base models but still has xm radio, bluetoof, remote entry w/alarm, hilarious "meep-meep" cartoon horn... ;)

I am going to upgrade the horn this weekend. Hilarious is not safe!

Most of the taxis in Beijing are Hyundais. They seem to hold up quite well and are relatively nice, considering!

Cheers,

Ray

We own the Hyundai Starex Van and Toyota Hi-Ace back in Manila. They are the most durable,reliable and spacious vans money can buy. They run about $25-30K new. Too bad it's not available in the U.S market. Hyundai has come a long way and they made it back by producing better cars. No stinking bailouts..good for them.

I know almost zero about the gen coupes other than they appear to be good pony fighters. we needed a sedan so it was either the elantra or the sonata. Elantra is also an extremely roomy car for its size but with Jenna coming home and wanting to do camping trips and the like we opted to go with the even-larger Sonata.

over the weekend (in addition to waxing the living shit out of it) I did a re-badge of the "SONATA" lettering on the back:

no.jpg

and fixed the stock horn:

also changed out the stock dash speakers (2-3" cones) for some spare soft-dome tweeters i had laying around and some other little things to it like lining Cooper's door jamb with "long lasting" shipping tape to protect the paint (poor-man's lamin-x ;))