14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

rear license plate

mo's72tii

Does any one have a fix for the two holes next to the US license plate lights other than fill and paint?

I do not like the euro holder with a us plate (sorry if the pix is your car).

Also has any one moded a license plate bracket that sits below the rear trim that connnects the tail lights?

post-17459-13667631634699_thumb.jpg

post-17459-13667631635862_thumb.jpg

Tangentially (?) you can install license plate lights in your bumper, as shown on that Euro tail. Those shown are the same as the E9 light assemblies I do believe.

I suppose if you were inventive you could place the lights atop the bumper and secure them. This does not specifically answer your bracket question but... I guess I like to type!

Cheers,

Ray

little plastic plugs that have metal faces. You can clean/polish the metal faces and clearcoat 'em, and that's the factory look. They are there because that's the standard Euro plate attachment point.

As for mounting the US license plate: I've always mounted mine using the bottom two holes in the plate, and placed a 3/8" thick rubber washer between plate and body. That keeps the plate from touching either the between-the-taillight trim on a roundie, or scratching the paint on the little lip that's just below the license place. Works for me.

cheers

mike

Tangentially (?) you can install license plate lights in your bumper, as shown on that Euro tail. Those shown are the same as the E9 light assemblies I do believe.

I suppose if you were inventive you could place the lights atop the bumper and secure them. This does not specifically answer your bracket question but... I guess I like to type!

Cheers,

Ray

Thanks Ray. I have eliminated the side lights and have euro lights in the bumper. I just forgot to fill those and paint them at the time.

little plastic plugs that have metal faces. You can clean/polish the metal faces and clearcoat 'em, and that's the factory look. They are there because that's the standard Euro plate attachment point.

As for mounting the US license plate: I've always mounted mine using the bottom two holes in the plate, and placed a 3/8" thick rubber washer between plate and body. That keeps the plate from touching either the between-the-taillight trim on a roundie, or scratching the paint on the little lip that's just below the license place. Works for me.

cheers

mike

Thanks Mike....I have a license plate frame and will probably need to fab a bracket to work. I want the finished plate and frame to be below the trim piece on the 72.

I have some touch up to do so I may fill and paint those holes.