14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

LED tail lights WOW

BLUNT

I was lucky enough to be the test pig for Jims LED tail lights. Jim came over this morning with a roundie kit and told me theyd install in 20 minutes by someone with no skill. He picked the right installer. But even with us bullshitting on a nice day and me taking my time, They were in and working in 1/2 hour or so and I did the install. He wanted me to do it to see how simple it is. I wasnt sure what to expect because with all the chinese HID this and LED that Im turned off by cheap crap. These are really nice quality made kits . The light output is phenomenal and no butchering your car at all. Completely reversible should you choose to do so. And even if you have clapped out tail lights these will look great because of course they dont depend on the reflector at all. Jim took a bunch of before and after pics. I have brand new tail lights and when you put his kit in 1 side and my brand new stock tail light in the other there is no comparison. Ill let Jim post the pics as soon as he gets them ready. Instant on turn signals look awesome too. This is a great kit and worth every penny in my mind. and dont even sweat the quality, its all there

Thank you Steve for the kind words and allowing us to use your car as our Test Mule (how can you possibly call Steve's excellent '02 a PIG ???). Given your knowledge of these cars, this is high praise.

Steve’s car is a perfect Test Mule because of the excellent condition of its electrical system and lights.

We already knew the lights would work as we bench tested them in the same way and to the same destructive standards we did with the Square Taillight.

But, you cannot forego actually testing them on a live car. We found a few minor tweaks to be made, some at Steve’s suggestion. But, as we are essentially making these to order for the time being, adding these will not delay our introduction or change any of the operation or price of the lights. I have not yet spoken with my partner, but there may be distinct kits for the early and later round taillight cars. If so, this will be explained at our website and you will simply order the appropriate kit for your car.

I am attaching several pics of the lights on Steve’s car, including one where the D-side still has it’s incandescent light while the P-side has been converted to LEDs. The contrast is amazing. As far as the incandescent side is concerned, realize that due to the condition of Steve’s car, this is as good as it gets – your car’s lights might not even be this good.

All the pics are unaltered except for the labeling, and were taken in direct sunlight without a flash at noon (note the shadows under the car), using a RAW format and are 6.5 MP. Night pics will be coming and will be posted on our website.

I must apologize, but our introduction will be delayed a couple days. When I got home from Steve’s this early afternoon, I had a message that my 87 y.o. Mother had an incident and was hospitalized. It is not life-threatening, but will require my attention for the next few days, maybe even a plane ride to OH. This will prevent me from getting the kit up and running on our website – 2002s.net, but I will get everything up and running before the weekend is out. Steve has also kindly offered to host a link on his site to ours

We will be offering a limited run initially, at a special introductory price for FAQ members. I already have about a dozen pre-orders from members who have emailed me these past few months, and they will be contacted first before we actually we start selling them to the Public. If you want to get on this list, or have any questions, send me an email to: info@2002s.net .

Thank you all for your patience in waiting for this introduction. I’m pretty sure you’ll feel it was worth the wait.

Cheers!

post-180-13667631642498_thumb.jpg

post-180-136676316451_thumb.jpg

post-180-13667631647544_thumb.jpg

post-180-13667631649938_thumb.jpg

post-17544-13667631657303_thumb.jpg

Will it include the backup lights? None of the pictures show them on....

The backup light will continue to be incandescent. We purposely decided on this because of how little time the backup lamp is actually lit and weighed it against the cost of a 4th array. But, we have included the incandescent backup light in our interface 'plug' so it is wired through the interface just as the other three LED arrays are.

Because the lens is clear, the incandescent bulb is really adequate.

Cheers!

We have not planned to do the Touring Coupe because the limited market would push the cost too high, and we would need to have a spare lamp to design them to.

If we cannot buy components from our suppliers in sufficient quantity, the price break doesn't kick in and this could well double the cost of our existing designs.

That does not however preclude us from producing a one-off, but I cannot speculate on the cost without further research. If you really want a set, shoot me an email at info@2002s.net and let's discuss.

Cheers!

SOUNDS LIKE A LONG OVERDUE ACTUAL IMPROVEMENT !

I REMEMBER THE LITTLE HALOGEN BULBS THEY HAD THAT WERE GUARANTEED TO GIVE THE '02 BRIGHTER BRAKE LIGHTS .

THEY MADE THEM BRIGHTER ALRIGHT ~ AS THEY MELTED YOUR LENSES !

THE LED KIT SOUNDS LIKE A DREAM COME TRUE .

LOW CURRENT DRAW , LOW HEAT AND BRIGHTER LIGHTS !