Steering Box Re-sealing

dibo

I'm more or less rebuilding the front end while the engine's out, including IE suspension, sways, bushings and camber plates, Bilstein HD's and all new steering linkages. That said, I also have a leaky steering box (input seal seems to be the worst), so I figured I'd take care of that while I'm in there. Based on what I can tell, the only way to re-seal is to take the box apart completely, so...

I reviewed both the manual and some of the FAQ posts (which quote the manual) and I'm wondering... is it going to be the end of the world if I don't have the worm-gear tool and I just re-use the current shims? The box seemed fine before I pulled it, but I want to make sure I'm ok to take this approach.

Also, if there are any issues with this job that I should know about before I get started, by all means... let me hear 'em!

i've cleaned and resealed several steering boxes. reuse the shims. make sure they are each, individually clean as there is no gasket compound used with them. i use a thread sealant applied to the bolt threads during reassembly. used to be able to get the garlock seals from a bearing supply shop. i've also cut my own cover gasket from gasket card-stock and hole punch.

Thanks guys. Input was indeed easy... output looks to be holding and although I'm tempted to replace it anyway with the box out of the car, I think I'm going to leave it alone... worst case, I have an extra box... if I start noticing another leak, I'll just rebuild it and swap it in later.

Thanks for the help!