Does the E30 head fit/work on the M10 block?

sislane

I have built two motors over the years using the E30 with 9.5 to 1 pistons for the E12 head and used the stock 2002 cam. Check your clearance with the higher compression pistons as on one, I had to "tweek" the head because of a close spot Both motors are still running strong to this day. My racer buddies tell me the head flows better too.

As you noted you will have to put on an electric fuel pump and lots of options there.

HTH

I have built two motors over the years using the E30 with 9.5 to 1 pistons for the E12 head and used the stock 2002 cam. Check your clearance with the higher compression pistons as on one, I had to "tweek" the head because of a close spot Both motors are still running strong to this day. My racer buddies tell me the head flows better too.

As you noted you will have to put on an electric fuel pump and lots of options there.

HTH

Thanks Mike.

HTH

Interesting.

I have a '76 California smog engine in my 2002 with an E12 head and low 8.3:1 compression pistons. So I can simply use a 318i head? Will this effect the compression ratio at all?

• 5 months later...

Interesting.

I have a '76 California smog engine in my 2002 with an E12 head and low 8.3:1 compression pistons. So I can simply use a 318i head? Will this effect the compression ratio at all?

Sorry to resurrect, but I've been looking for a similar answer. From what I can gather, the 1.8i head has a 63cc combustion chamber while the e12 has a 61cc chamber. Based on that alone you're looking at slightly reduced compression. (probably .2-.3 overall) So from that standpoint (and nothing else) I'd say it's definitely not an upgrade.

Yup. The e30 pistons have little domes to bump up compression.

E30 onto flattop's no compression gain. And not a ton of flow

gain, either- they're a bit better, but nothing like an m42.

and their piston pins are lower for the destroked crank, so you can't use

the 2l crank with the 1.8 pistons.

t