battery relocation. gaa!

flyingfool

so i went to look into colecting parts for a battery relocate to trunk project. figured, eh, pretty easy right? wrong. parts tore didnt have any of the parts i was loking for. mostly just a battery cable long enough.

but my question is more this, do i have to use a battery distribution block like it says in the faq. or can i run the battery cable directly to the starter? and by extension i guess the alternator too

so i went to look into colecting parts for a battery relocate to trunk project. figured, eh, pretty easy right? wrong. parts tore didnt have any of the parts i was loking for. mostly just a battery cable long enough.

but my question is more this, do i have to use a battery distribution block like it says in the faq. or can i run the battery cable directly to the starter? and by extension i guess the alternator too

Most people use an E30 cable. It's fat, it's long enough, it's readily available, it comes with a terminal block and it's cheap. The terminal block can act as a source of additional 12V for other items you may need. But you can run straight into your starter , just the way it already does from the factory with the battery under the hood.

The e30 cable is around 11.5', if i recall. If you have a reason to come to the San Jose area, there are several e30's with distribution blocks in the south San Jose Pick and Pull as of Monday...3.99 each for the pos cables and block, 3.99 for the neg., and 30 minutes to extract. One of the nice things about the distribution block is it's a place to hook a battery tender up. In my case i put the battery under the rear seat, so it's convienent.

good luck,

bob

The E30 cable is just that: fat and made for an E30. It takes probably more effort to retrofit the E30 cable than installing some welding cable (smaller diameter) with some terminal blocks made for stero systems. Here is my install:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,331885/highlight,battery+trunk/

I'm in agreement with this, tried the e30 cable but it really wasn't long enough for how I routed it. Went the welding cable route, but did use the distribution block, just makes things simpler.

Any welding shop will make you a custom length cable, just route it with string and take the approrpiate length to the welding shop. They will even crimp rings on then ends for you.

BD

I bought the TEP kit. It came with #4 cable. I chose to use a bit heavier and bought it from my local Ace hdwr store. They had the proper crimp terminals and let me borrow the crimper for the day. I did not use the E30 block as I did not know about it at the time and went direct. If I was doing it again I'd use the E30 terminal. It's a good source of 12V without having to dig for it and you can jump the car from the front.