New member with a couple questions

Zed

I just bought a '75 2002 in Golf. Absolutely loving it so far, it just needs to be caught up on a little deferred maintenance. Previous owner did a complete interior restoration and the car flipper I bought it from did a respray. I have a few questions for the experts here:

Is it common for 2002s to run hot? It was about 90 yesterday and driving around town my temp gauge was 2/3 to red. Thinking I will flush coolant and if that doesn't fix it get a bigger radiator.

How much of the 1975's emissions control equipment can be removed or disabled? The car is emissions exempt where I live.

2/3 up in hot weather is fairly normal. Depends on not just the radiator, but also which thermostat is installed. There are 3. A 70c, 75c, and 80c. The 70c is really designed for very hot places...I have a 75c and its probably still too cold. The 80c is the normal one...if you have that one, it sounds about right.

Is it common for 2002s to run hot? It was about 90 yesterday and driving around town my temp gauge was 2/3 to red. Thinking I will flush coolant and if that doesn't fix it get a bigger radiator.

A. No, not necessarily. water boils at a much lower temp in Denver due to altitude--and yes I realize you have a pressurized system...but is the pressure cap holding pressure? Did you test it? Also check the thermostat--they come in 71, 76 and 80 degree C flavors--marked on the outside; you should use a 71 or 76.

How much of the 1975's emissions control equipment can be removed or disabled? The car is emissions exempt where I live.

A. You can remove everything--just be sure and plug any resulting holes in the intake manifold. Also, find another manifold to replace the current boat anchor you have--it's a thermal reactor and is VERY heavy and not very efficient. You can bolt on one from an earlier car, or an aftermarket header.

Welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority

mike

Finally got the chance to take a few pics and get a better look at the car. The po already did headers, so that's a huge plus. The car continues to run quite hot, but I'm getting it looked at tomorrow and hopefully will find a fix then.

1028950785_PRhmr-L.jpg

1028950899_KNEVK-L.jpg

1028949379_TJHVu-L.jpg

You don't need a 320i radiator, the mounts can be adapted but looks weird. Yours can be recored, make sure pump and thermostat are working as well as Mike suggested. Temp gauge should not go above 3:00 unless sitting in traffic and it's extremely hot. Your 02 looks very clean, congrats.