• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manimals Sleeper Turb02

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing yet, I haven't had time to work on it due to school. I'll be starting work again on the 19th and hopefully have it running by the end of my spring break, the 27th

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well no progress as of the last 3 months, the car has become a storage unit lol. Summer's just around the corner though and fingers crossed I'll get it running and take it to an autoX late summer if I'm lucky. Unfortunately a few obstacles stand in the way...no job and it needs ~1200 more in parts.

I've been having a lot of fun driving my agave everywhere now that it's running really well. Now that I'm taking some time off I've decided to tear it down and completely rebuild it starting in the fall, that's the first obstacle to getting the turbo car going.

I'm also starting on a LeMons 2002 project as well, won't be ready until next year but should be driving by september. Also possibly acquiring an older fsae car with two friends, which leads me to the last problem.

Frankly, I did a few things to the car I wish I hadn't done had I known it would have ended up where it is today. Also, focus has changed since it's become my car and I don't have the money to do track days or have another garage "queen". The bodywork is poo, straight up, that shit is hard and when the entire car needs it done, it doesn't always get finished as well as it should. Biggest hurdle is the title, doesn't have one...I might be able to get a replacement through the PO but then I'm looking at a bunch more registration fees(late registration)/replacement title if I can even get it.

If I do acquire that old formula car, it's going to own the 2002 in autoX which is the only stuff I'll be able to afford to do with it[bonus, it will own those sti's and evo's as well :) ]. So, I'd have 2 autoX cars...and now the wavering solution. I'm thinking of scrapping the body(I can't believe I"m saying this after all the work I've put into it...) and replacing it with another '72-'76 with an interior/dash/stock fuel tank(sumped/foam filled). It would be heavier, but with how much HP this thing will have I don't think 200-300lbs is going to be too big of a deal for a non-track car. It would also be nice to have a car I can drive on the streets with out it screaming "hey police, I'm over here in a fast modified car that's highly visible".

Edit, just going to trade bodies with potentialM20. My screwed with no-title '73 will become the lemons car and I'll get his '76 with a title and still most of the interior, even if it is blue...bleh

It's going to need some body work on the nose panel and a new fender for the passenger side + a bit of dent hammering and some re-welding. Funny, it's going to look exactly like FTD's turbo project once I put the early bumpers on.

I'll start a blog for that lemons car when I start assembling it in july, guarantee you it'll be something never been done before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Spent the weekend out at Oregon Raceway Park for their inaugural Ratrace. It's similar to LeMons, but more laid back. The track is amazing, unfortunately I wasn't driving. Now I've got uber motivation to get both the turbo car and LeMons car done! If you ever have a chance to make it out there, do it!. 400+ vertical feet of elevation over a 2.3mi course with most corners full blind and a few full throttle blind.

Last week I pulled the front and rear subframes from both the '73 and '76. The fronts subframes are in the process of being reinforced and the control arms will be seam welded and boxed. The '73's front end(now going on the '76) is all new OEM parts and those rubber bushings will be pulled and installed in the lemons car's front end while it will have urethane replacing the rubber.

Today the body was hit with a weak pressure washer and is much cleaner. The rear subframe from the '73 was reinstalled on the '76 turbo project. Tomorrow the front subframe reinforcements should be finished and hopefully it will be reinstalled on the '76.

The '76 has some front end damage but I've already picked up a replacement passenger side fender and front clip. Unfortunately they're verona which doesn't match the nice patina'd fjord paint of the car, hopefully somewhere I can find a spray paint which is a close match to faded fjord. One positive in replacing the front clip is getting to build a removable front panel which I've been wanting to do. Possibly replacing it in the future with a fiberglass or CF skin...way down the road. For now this car is going to be a sleeper but in the future it may turn into a flared monster with a much crazier engine.

Pics and much more frequent updates to follow as well as a build blog for the LeMons car.

Boxed all four control arms and two subframes today. Need to do a little bit of clean up before painting them. Pics to come tomorrow. If all goes well I'll find my spring compressors and get the struts taken apart so I can reinforce the lower portion, shortening for adjustable coilovers will happen in the future but right now I don't have the cash for the springs, dampers, and threaded sleeves.

On a side note, I'm weighing everything I remove with a before and after if I modify it in any way. I'll post a list of weights up eventually.

Looks like a sick project. How old are you? Man, I've got some wrenching skills but I need to learn to weld ASAP. Are you doing all your own body work, too?

This is about my ideal project in 8 years or so.

Thanks! I'm 23, just learning as I go. Yeah, I'm doing my own body work but since I've switched bodies there won't be nearly as much to do. I'm almost done with the subframe reinforcement, I just keep adding a bit more here and there...I'll be done with it tomorrow for sure.

It may be(most definitely is) overkill, but it does give me a larger jacking base. I'll be drilling some 1.5" holes with a holesaw tomorrow so it won't hold as much water/road crap. The second pic shows a better detail of the cutout necessary to clear the E30 318i oilpan. The main reason I'm using this pan is it came on the motor and has an increased capacity compared to the stock '02 oilpan.

S7001066.jpg

S7001067.jpg

The paint doesn't look that great because it's Rustoleum Enamel paint, billed as "industrial use". Hopefully it's actually more chip resistant than a standard acrylic enamel spray paint.

Edit, for the next week I'll be helping PotentialM20 with his M20 swap. The following week hopefully I'll get a new motor swapped into my Agave and a lot of work done on our LeMons car. Turb02 probably won't see much work until the end of September unless I over caffeinate myself.

Cut the nose clip off today and started to trim out the replacement one. Every time I do this kind of thing I wonder if just welding in a patch of metal would be easier... Current plan is to semi-gut the nose clip and make it removable with 10 or 12 bolts, more on that later.

Some pics of the car before and after. I think with a little bit of wet sanding the paint will actually look pretty good. Now I just need to find a spray paint that is a close match to patina'd Fjord.

S7001080.jpg

S7001084.jpg

S7001086.jpg

Engine bay is nice and clean after pressure washing(it wasn't too dirty to begin with).

S7001082.jpg

S7001088.jpg

S7001089.jpg

Can you guess what this seat is from? It'll be receiving some additional fiberglass bolstering and redone with minimalist padding. Much lighter than stock and only $10 at the junkyard. Drivers side will be a worn, but still usable, cloth e21 recaro.

S7001085.jpg

Got some work done on the M20 swap too, motor and tranny should be going in tomorrow or friday. Finally found my spring compressors so I'll be able to do a bit of strut reinforcement for both the this car and the lemons car.

Nice progress. And way to steal my idea for the nose panel lol. I'm literally about to do the exact same thing here in the next week or so (removable and gutted). Any suggestions for removing the nose panel from the inner fenders? I saw some of the spot welds but haven't had time to look at it to closely yet.

I definitely think you'll be happier with the new body. Wish mine was that clean, would eliminate a lot of body work.

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

If you're going to gut the front clip, just cut right where I did in the above pic. When I re-attach the nose clip there will only be a small slit from the cutting wheel. Alternatively I'm considering cutting that side portion out(clearly visible in the pic below) and adding a plastic divider between the inside of the fender and the spot welded area. That way the road grime stays off the headlight backs.

It's a cleaner shell to a point, less rust(very little on the other chassis too), but it still has a bunch of dents and since it's a later car it's a bit heavier. I just want something that doesn't attract attention like the orange one would have.

Not much done today, again(and for the week) spending most of my time helping with the M20 conversion. We'd be a lot further along with that if we'd made a list of what we didn't have and bought the stuff last week...

I did gut the old nose clip for practice, I'll probably do the red one tomorrow. I'm still debating where to put the intercooler. I just ordered an '84 Scirocco radiator(the smaller 20" core). It's capacity is just above the E21 radiator, but it is only 12.5" tall so the IC can be mounted below it if I'd like. Unfortunately that requires a big intake in the air dam...no easy way to make that subtle. The other option is to put it ahead of the radiator. Both have their pluses and minuses. E-fan is easier to mount with option 1 and it doesn't stack heatsinks. Option 2 is easier to setup, but may make fan mounting harder and puts the IC visible behind the grills. It's more work, but I'm considering making the clip compatible with both and starting with the IC in front of the radiator.

Cutting the '74> bumper mounts off is quite difficult, necessary for the low IC mounting though.

IMG_5281.jpg

IMG_5280.jpg