14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

2 dumb questions but I can not find an answer

nbristow01

Yes I have used my feeble FAQ search skills and turned up plenty of info that was not what I needed.

1) when you time your car at 1500 vacuum advance unhooked, ball showing in the timing hole....what advance is this? 36 deg? 34 deg? motor has 284 cam, new everything

2) when adjusting valves, its a real bitch to position the feeler guage between the ecentric nut and valve then try to adjust. Can I adjust by using the feeler guage at the cam between the cam and rocker pad?

Yes I have used my feeble FAQ search skills and turned up plenty of info that was not what I needed.

1) when you time your car at 1500 vacuum advance unhooked, ball showing in the timing hole....what advance is this? 36 deg? 34 deg? motor has 284 cam, new everything

It's 25 deg. Mechanical advance doesn't stop there. Full mechanical advance ends at a much higher rpm.

It's 25 deg. Mechanical advance doesn't stop there. Full mechanical advance ends at a much higher rpm.

When I adjust my valves I put just a very little tension on the locking nut so the eccentric does just flop around. This way I can move it a little while the feeler guage is in there, then tighten the nut a little more (I also use .007 guage), and recheck. If it's good, then I tighten the nut to spec (6.5 to 8 lb-ft) and move on.

Bob Napier

Guest Anonymous

easiest method I've found on the valves is to use a go/no-go guage. slip the .006/.008 one in, loosen the nut, push down lightly on the edge of the little hole in the eccentric with a small screwdriver, and while you are holding the screwdriver to keep tension on the feeler guage, let go of the latter and tighten the nut. Then check to assure that .006 goes in easily but .008 does not. When you are all done, do one more round of checking them all. BTW, it is easy to rotate the cam by putting the car in 4th and pushing it ahead with your right knee. If that's too hard, remove the plugs first.

As mentioned above, the answer to #2 is NO. At the very least, the gap at the cam is not the same as the gap on the valve.

I have a set of feeler gauges that have an angle at their end. It looks like 135 degrees. It is designed for valve adjustments and makes the job a lot easier. I also use an Allen wrench (one of those L-shaped units) as the tool to insert in the eccentric. I slip the gauge in, tug on the eccentric while sliding the gauge back and forth to feel the drag, then cinch the nut. I check again after the nut is tight. Don't over-tighten the eccentric nut. It does not much.