Has my Tranny gone?

TTyMiller

More specifics would be helpful. When you say does

not want to go into gear ... does that mean that the

gear grinds and won't mesh ... or does the shift lever

balk at the detent before it even compresses the syncro?

If it grinds that means your first gear syncro is bad. If

the lever hesitates and won't permit your to push the lever

into gear, the spring and ball bearing that finds the

'detent' in the shift rod is probably full of way to heavy

trans fluid. The second secanario can be fixed by a

tranny washout with thin solvent and a refil with a lighter

transmission (non hypoid) oil. Of course, this assumes

that this is a manual transmission such as the Getrag 232

that originally came with the car!?

1. The metalastic shift linkage platform mounts are either loose or worn, allowing the platform to shift around and not permit the lever to move far enough to engage first. When the engine/tranny (and the rubber mounts) are cold, they're still somewhat stiff, but when warmed up they get soft.

Worth checking--and a lot easier than dismantling the tranny! My '73 was very difficult to get into first and reverse--turned out the mount bolts were loose, allowing play in the shift lever.

2. Clutch hydraulics are on their way out--either the clutch slave or master cylinder is leaking, so the clutch doesn't disengage properly. Again, when cold the hydraulic fluid is a bit thicker, but as it thins out from heat, you lose movement.

cheers

mike

Check your timing and idle. I've found if the timing is too far forward it will crunch into gear, especially when shifting into second. If your idle is set too high, it wont want to downshift easily either. CD, says use a timing light... I Italian tune mine by finding the sweet-spot in the engine by feel and then fine tuning it between it starting up quickly, and shifting smoothly. Probably not the best advice, but I've found that if your timing and idle is off the gears will crunch. i had the 'second gear crunch' in my car when I first got it... Thought I might have to address the trans, and found that there is a sweet spot, where the engine likes the distributer to be.... Good luck.... small moves first.