14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Tii plastic intake tube mod

EcoAuto

My '75 had a Tii engine installed by a former owner. The car has a rough and inconsistent idle and hard cold starts. I'm lucky to know Bill, an independent mechanic who worked for a BMW dealership in the early 1980' thru 90s and really enjoys working on 02's. His experience with 02s is much appreciated in this small town.

Bill believes the hard cold start issue is caused by a malfunctioning cold start valve and a new one is on the way. The idle issue he things is due to a leak in one or more of the intake tube hose connectors. The Tii engine is an early one. I found four original plastic intake tubes in the spare parts box that came with the car and they appear to be in good condition.

At some point in the past, aluminum tubes replaced these stock plastic tubes and were attached using 8 short hose lengths. I understand this was a common mod. Photos attached.

Does anyone know why the seemingly undamaged plastic tubes would have been replaced with aluminum tubes? Were these aluminum tubes available as a replacement kit? The plastic intake tubes are available from BMW Mobile traditions, but they're very expensive at $160 each / $740 for 4.

Any enlightening back story on intake tubes appreciated.

post-18606-13667631459654_thumb.jpg

post-18606-13667631463511_thumb.jpg

Yes, thanks Nick and Dana for identifying the source of the tubes. Top End Performance's "Replacement Air Tubes For Tii Injection" had indeed replaced the stock plastic runners. Top End's "Air Filter pipe with K&N filter" and Ultimate Front and Rear Strut Shock Tower Brace were also installed in my car.

I contacted Steve Nelson at Top End to inquire if repair couplers were available and he immediately replied:

"The (silicone) couplers (for the steel air tubes) could wear through or get a tear although that is very unusual...it should be very easy to inspect and find if that is the case...$10 per silicone coupler...Not likely you will find at a parts store...Those are high pressure Silicone Turbo couplers which is why

they usually will outlast the car."

Steve Nelson

President TEP Inc. dba

Top-End Performance

http://www.topendperformance.com

7452 Varna Ave N.Hollywood CA 91605

818 764-1901 818 764-0155 fax

e-mail: topend@racetep.com

I have an extra set of OE aluminium intake runners for sale if you're interested.BMW replaced the plastic runners to Aluminum in 73.they have been sand blasted and ready to be installed..295 shipped OBO..

don't fit - completely differemt plenum. Rumour, and just that, says the early intake flows a bit better. Plus they sound cool.

I have an extra set of OE aluminium intake runners for sale if you're interested.BMW replaced the plastic runners to Aluminum in 73.they have been sand blasted and ready to be installed..295 shipped OBO..

don't fit - completely differemt plenum. Rumour, and just that, says the early intake flows a bit better. Plus they sound cool.

the set I have includes all plenum so it's should just bolt up.

Nic, any word on the Scheel sliders? thx.