• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing Electronic ignition

gli_ryan

I discovered my car has a Mallory distributor when I pulled it. And I'm trying to figure out how this is going to work. I'm currently messing around with it and should get it figured out, but I was wondering if anyone has some good input as to what I'm working with here. Here is its part number 2567102

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

http://www.malloryperformance.com/pdf/MALLORY.pdf

Page 47 shows the 2 different styles of advance that was used on the 25 series distributors. its either the YL or the YT advance.(usually the first 2 numbers in the part number denote the series distributor)

On the link above, they also list the Unilite/electronic conversion kit for the different distributors.

I think pertronix and other aftermarket company's also sell an electronic conversion kit for it also. I have seen them for the Mallory 25 series YL dist that I have.

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

2 1/2 hrs and you gave up on it already?

wow..

I went to extremes to get a Mallory distributor on my 2002

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,345912/highlight,/

I don't know what it would be worth, but I'm sure some one would like to get a hold of it. Put it on feebay

Fishhead

----------------------

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

The Mallory is easier to adjust the advance curve and Mallory still sells the kit to do it with.

It's a matter of personal preference as seen in the thread I linked to above. I have used Mallory distributors in most of my stuff and I even put one in my Honda CB 750 (Motorcycle- see pic). I'll eventually go with the Unilite in my 2002, but it is working fine with the points and MSD now.

In your 1st pic, it looks like there are shutter wheels for an electronic ignition in the background. Did you get an electronic ignition kit for the stock distributor?

post-18739-1366763145206_thumb.jpg

Fishhead

----------------------

Yeah, I bought the Crane cams setup. The xr3000 and the ps91 coil. I'm hoping this will solve my crappy running issue and provide some extra ponies. I'm also running the weber dcoe carbs, which don't really have any vacuum ports for the vacuum advance on the stock distro.....

sweet bike setup. i built an xs650 bobber earlier this summer. luckily it didn't have points.

Fish that is quite amazing an old Russ Collins Honda distributor drive.

Last time I saw one of those (really three) was on his T/F Drag Bike

The three engined beast was nicknamed "Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe" running at Ontario Motor Speedway in the 70's.

Back to the distributor, if your selling post it here on the FAQ. Personally I'd use it, they are very nice parts. If I hadn't ordered a 8473 MSD 2.3 Ford Pro Billet to perform Fish's conversion I'd be all over it.

Well I need to figure out this timing advance situation... So the carbs I'm using only have the one vacuum port, its like a 3/4" or something which the brake booster is hooked up to. I'm assuming that the stock vacuum advance on the distributor NEEDS to be hooked up for this thing to make any sort of power and for it to work correctly? Otherwise there is no advance on it. But I can't figure out how the advance on the Mallory distro works, I know its mechanical, but I don't really know much about distributors.

So, should I try and hook up the vacuum advance on the stock distro? Or should I go back to the Mallory mechanical advance and try to figure out how to get the optic trigger of the crane cams setup to work?

No vac advance with DCOE's. The port for the advance has to be ported vacuum (before the throttle plate). Manifold vac is NG for a distributor. Might want to get back to work on the Mallory. I have modified other dist's to remove the vac advance and change the amount of mechanical advance, but never on an 02, probably could be done, but you have the Mallory so I would go for it.

This forum is about our cars, not politics or attacks