14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

early euro bumper bracket removal

jdt10768

I want to de-rustify and paint the curvy moustache looking metal brackets that hold the front bumper in place. They attach to the frame inside the front cowl with 2 (13 mm) bolts/nuts. The problem is: I removed the nuts, and the carriage bolts are stationary inside a square metal piece of frame. There is not enough leeway to get the brackets over those bolt ends. I searched. Anyone know what needs to happen to free the brackets?

oh, the brackets are loose. no real rust to speak of there at the 2 bolt on points. They are moving freely, but not enough to clear the mounting bolts. I can get the bracket over the bolt closest to the driver, but no way will it clear the bolt nearest the nose. not enough play or space

will get some pics

Guest Anonymous

It's been a long time but if I remember correctly you need to push the bolts in just a little towards the engine compartment then slide them out of the slots. If you push in too far they will drop inside the frame rail. Try putting a bolt/washer on the end to keep them from falling in. I think it's also possible to remove them with the brackets still on if you can push the bolts far enough to slide them out.

the bolts just spin when you try and loosen the nuts...that's the norm in salt country. That being said...

First of all, loosen the nuts on the carriage bolts up in the wheel well while the bumper is in place. Then the trick is to unbolt the bumper blade from the brackets; that'll give you wiggle room. Now that the bumper is off, you can deal with one bracket at a time. With both nuts backed most of the way off their bolt, move the bracket until the carriage bolt head aligns with the large hole in the keyhole. Then the bracket will pull right out towards you. Do the same with the other side.

When reinstalling, install the brackets and their bolts finger tight, then bolt up the bumper. Now you can do final tightening and make sure the bumper is level and parallel with the ground.

BTW, these instructions don't apply to the 1973 brackets; they're completely different.

mike

good question. I didn't even want to find out, so I left the brackets alone and installed my bumper. The brackets weren't in such bad shape, and I was impatient. Seems that the two carriage bolts that the brackets attach with will slide in and out on another piece of metal within that square frame piece. cool design