Firewall Blanket... necessary or not?

dibo

So I have the motor out and I removed the crusty foam firewall blanket in the process (pass side AL heat shield's still there). That said, I'm not sure I really want to shell out $150 for another and was wondering, am I going to be regretting it later? Will it be considerably hotter/louder in the car? I'm not as concerned about noise as I am heat since I'm planning on dynamatting the interior when I put new carpet in (probably in the next few months) and I have to think that foam stuff doesn't do much for heat, so...

Thoughts?

so Esty,

Do you have the factory insulation in place on the firewall on the inside of the car? if not then what are you using for insulation?

Btw- there are very few classic cars that I see restored and non restored that have exterior firewall insulation in place.

also, I have been researching a number of different products to do the same job but cheaper. There are some good products here

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/firewalls.html

I'm not as concerned about noise as I am heat since I'm planning on dynamatting the interior when I put new carpet in (probably in the next few months) and I have to think that foam stuff doesn't do much for heat, so...

Thoughts?

re-consider the dynamat option and go with the brush on sound deadening instead. it will will give you a cleaner and more uniform look. Dont know if it's paintable but it's good for your firewall too. my 02 cents worth.

It certainly doesn't HURT- but I can't see it helping $150 worth.

I think adding more on the inside would help balance out the

loss enough so you really couldn't tell.

That said, with it off the pass. side of my street car and with not

very much left on the inside, the darned thing is LOUD.

Not nearly as loud as the race car. But still. Makes me appreciate the 318...

t

...also, I have been researching a number of different products to do the same job but cheaper. There are some good products here

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/firewalls.html

Funny... I ran across the same site, but that was when I thought these things cost $50 like they did 4 years ago (from the archives...), which eliminated the option (at the time). Apparently the price of prefab sound deadening foam has tripled (supply issues in Southeast Asia I'm told), which is making the DIY approach look a bit more attractive.

Then again, I may just leave it bare... I certainly don't need another project standing in my way... what was going to be a "simple" motor replacement turned into an engine bay refresh (now 1 instead of 3 colors), new carb, hogged manifold and headers, lightened flywheel, new clutch (etc), suspension overhaul (IE stage 1, poly bushings, etc), which inevitably is leading to a hub/brake replacement (girling/320 drums). Oh, and a 5 speed.

Anyway, given all of the above, what I'm not going to do is drop $150 on foam... it's either DIY or nothing.

Oh, and I'll definitely look into the brush on deadening, though I'm not in a hurry to rip the carpet up... I'm going to enjoy having it running before I tear it apart again.

Thanks for the help!

I've been having this same debate. What I'd like is a ceramic insulating paint, that could be top-coated to look stock. So far, I've narrowed down to three choices:

1. Lizardskin: Great reputation, but high-price to match.

http://www.lizardskin.com/lizard_skin/race_car_insulation.php

2. SecondSkin Firewall: Cheaper, and sounds like good stuff. An advantage (to me) is that it can be brushed on, making spot-application easier.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/thermal-acoustic-insulation/firewall.php

3. Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions: I just found these guys. A bunch of ex-NASA folks that are making paint and additives that you can add to your paint to make a thermal and sound barrier. The cheapest paint-on insulator I've found. I think they are worth a call.

http://www.hytechsales.com/

Ian

'76 M2 (currently in non-insulated state)

I bought a new engine bay firewall insulation pad from Blunt a few months ago. I was working on putting it in the car, but decided it was too much of a hassle to secure to the firewall given that most of the securing tabs had broken off of the firewall over the past 30+ years. I was also worried that it might trap moisture against the firewall, and since fire and water don't mix, I figured I'd go without it. If necessary, I'll add some insulation to the interior side of the firewall. Something that won't trap moisture from the passenger pissing himself.

If anyone in the DC area would like a slightly stained firewall pad that has a few small (less than 1") tears, let me know. You can have it for the old price of $50. Shipping will be a bit of a pain, but could be doable in a big box.

Grice

the cars survived at least 30years with them or partial...so the argument that they might trap moisture is a bit on the paranoiac side. They rust anyway.

I own two 02, one with and one without. I can tell WITHOUT A DOUBT that i prefer with. And i can tell you, my automatic 02 is SUPER silent, almost as much as my E46.

Those old farth german engineers installed insulation here and there not because it was overstock...they installed them because they have a purpose.

post-119-13667631269233_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667631271424_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Dibo, I made my own firewall shield: aluminum layer on rear, fabric batting, then fiberglass front. Looks great. Car's not running yet but I'm expecting very good sound and heat insulation.

I've thought about making more for sale. Let me know if you're interested and not in a hurry.

Francis Ferrance

1972 BMW 2002

Wrightwood CA

Ferrance@aol.com