Getting it started after 10 years?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have recently acquired a 2002 that hasn't been turned over in 10 years. Any tips / tricks on how to get her fired up? It is carburated with an electric choke BTW. Other things I might want to look out for??

my car when i acquired it hadn't been started in over 16 years. changed oil coolant,hoses etc. the worst was getting the old spark plugs out. It took me 2 weeks of loosening a bit. spraying release all into the threads, and cranking them in a bit to penetrate the threads then loosening out more etc. clean the carb out before you do try to start it as well. it fired right up though and idled nicely. good luck

All the things Nick said.

Plus, you don't want to first turn it over with the starter. The high torque of a starter motor can easily tear the rings if they're frozen to the cyl. walls.

Best thing to do is to add a little motor oil to each cylinder through the spark plug holes (just a squirt - enough to 'lube' the rings) and leave overnight.

Then, either turn the crank by hand using a socket and breaker bar, or put the car in 5th gear (or 4th... whatever is the highest and will give you the greatest mechanical advantage), and gently push it forward a few feet, put in neutral and back it up, return it to 5th and push again. Do this several times until you're sure you've gotten one full revolution of the motor.

After this, you can use the starter to crank it up. It will smoke a little because of the added oil, but this will burn off in a minute or two.

It may seem like overkill, unless you've actually seen it happen, which I have to a friend's Lotus Esprit which sat for 5 yrs. It's cumbersome, but way less so than having to do a rebuild.

Cheers!

I've heard many times that folks put Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and letting that soak overnight, prior to turning it over. pull the plugs and pour in. My guess is ~25ml per cylinder is plenty. Then do what "02for2 in M" said for turning over the engine by putting it in high gear.

Also, you may want to inspect that gas tank. First step is to remove any old gas that's in there. Definately put in a new gas filter.

I've heard many times that folks put Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and letting that soak overnight, prior to turning it over. pull the plugs and pour in. My guess is ~25ml per cylinder is plenty. Then do what "02for2 in M" said for turning over the engine by putting it in high gear.

Also, you may want to inspect that gas tank. First step is to remove any old gas that's in there. Definately put in a new gas filter.

Exactly what I did. Replace all old gas lines too! I blew out all 4 or so of em on my car after starting it from a 20 year slumber.